Skip to main content
Topic: BBK SSI Intake Manifold... your thoughts. (Read 4242 times) previous topic - next topic

BBK SSI Intake Manifold... your thoughts.

Price = 579.99
This manifold rewrites the chapter in 5.0L performance! It features an unique high-flow individual equal length open runner manifold and a high torque twin plenum upper intake. Standard high flow aluminum fuel rail kits are included with this awesome ''Pony Power Package''. It has show stopping great looks and packs the best all around performance and drivability for street applications. Fits 1986-93 5.0L Mustang

# Features:Adds 18-35 horsepower over the factory manifold
# Features unique open runner high-flow lower manifold
# High torque twin plenum upper intake
# Standard high-flow aluminum fuel rails included
# Standard 75mm throttle body opening
# Built-in EGR spacer

article found here:
http://mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/138_0412_intake/index.html

Re: BBK SSI Intake Manifold... your thoughts.

Reply #1
I think it looks like ....besides.....a little late to be jumping in on the 5.0 intake market when it's pretty much 100% covered already.

That dyno test in 5.0 they did is a pure joke and proves absolutely nothing.....compare it to the others that share that market segment like Edelbrock, Trick Flow and such.

Reply #2
I don't have a problem with its looks, but would want to see a compairson with some of the other aftermarket 5.0 intakes before I'd go for it.

Reply #3
Well, since I know dick about aftermarket EFI intakes, I can't comment there.  And as for the looks, I'd have to see it on an engine before I decide.  I think a dual plenum is a neat design, but is it overkill?  Couldn't say.  I sure as hell think ford's stock design was quite excessively large.  Why'd the 5.0 have such a large plenum, yet the 4.6 only had an elbow?

Reply #4
I think it looks pretty, but, as many have said, how does it stack up against the big names.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #5
It's interesting too, that this just came out when the 5.0's been out of official production for a few years.  What does that mean, though?  They're still making heads for 429's etc.

Reply #6
Quote from: The Hawk
I think it looks like ....besides.....a little late to be jumping in on the 5.0 intake market when it's pretty much 100% covered already.

That dyno test in 5.0 they did is a pure joke and proves absolutely nothing.....compare it to the others that share that market segment like Edelbrock, Trick Flow and such.

Agreed, its a little late to jump on the bandwagon. However, theres always room for improvement I guess. THe dyno test was done on a 93 cobra motor I believe with several mods. The stock intake was run and then the BBK intake was run. That test was like comparing apples and oranges. It was useless and everyone knows it. I think this intake would fall short when compared to the Systemax, Street/track heats, RPMI & II, etc. I think the intake that is probably the best bang for the buck is the Professional Products Typhoon intake. Of course thats just my opinion. Hell what do I know, Im only running a ported Exploder intake.  :grinno:
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #7
I say one like that about 10 years or so back but it had a throtttle body on each air plenum. I can't remember the company that made them though.

Reply #8
You're thinking of the ill fated BXR intake.....cost killed that thing...it was very expensive. Concept was good though (plenum volume was user adjustable by changing the end caps on each bank)