Skip to main content
Topic: 88 5.0 TC has to go =( What do you think? (Read 2931 times) previous topic - next topic

88 5.0 TC has to go =( What do you think?

The time has unfortunately come that I need to part with my baby:  my 88 Turbo Coupe 5.0.  But the problem is, after putting roughly $9,000 into it I can't decide...  would I be better off parting it out or selling it outright?  Here's the lowdown:

- Maroon 88 TC, power windows, locks, mirrors, drivers seat, cruise control, premium sound
- 89 Mustang 5.0 (90k, refreshed from heads up at 89k), plus all new sensors, water pump, etc...
- BBK Ceramic coated shorties (1 5/8 primaries) in BBK H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series lers
- Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
- K&N conical filter
- 89 Mustang T5, only 20k miles, MGW shifter, King Cobra clutch on new flywheel
- 89 Mustang Wiring, computer, custom wired into TC harnesses (removing a TON of unused wiring) - throws no codes like a lot of converted TC's do
- Mustang pedal assembly with summit clutch cable
- 140 mph speedo
- New Headlights
- Griffin aluminum radiator with elec fan (and temp switch)
- All new A/C plumbing and components (needs to be charged)
- New fog lights
- Viper 600HF alarm system
- 95 Cobra R wheels - 17x9 - 5 wheels and tires to have a full sized spare
- 94 Mustang spindles, hubs
- 98 Cobra Master Cylinder,  new cobra calipers, crossdrilled rotors, stainless lines, for motorsport proportioning valve
- 88 Mustang Booster
- 86 Lincoln Mark VII axels and brakes (11.65" discs I believe), new calipers and rotors on stock 8.8 with 3.55 and posi
- Awesome interior, stock premium sound system
- Custom rotary heater panel from 93 mustang (in stock heater panel location to prevent blockage from future added flip up navigation)
- New shocks and struts

Downsides:

A very small bit of rust on the bottom of the drivers side door, a bit of bubbling/rust (about 1x3") on top of passenger back wheel lip - under the paint, passenger door needs new pins? (door sags a bit), passenger back corner has a gash in it (1x4") from a 5th wheel trailer hitting it (have replacement taillight), parking brakes cables and cruise servo need to be replaced...

It's in overall great condition but I just can't decide if I'd be better off parting it or selling it.  I'd hate to part it and then see a perfectly amazing 88 TC die, but I also can't not get what I need to get $$$ wise from it.  What do you guys think?  Here are some pics (passenger side is fine, just didn't want to pull it out into the rain to get pics on that side...also, it doesn't really have 140,000+ miles on it, just the speedo)...
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #1
Here's pics:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/booksixstudios/album?.dir=/753bscd&.src=ph&.tok=phZHKyGBpqUAhZX7
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #2
links dont work for me ?
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #3
shoot, maybe you have to be logged into my yahoo account...  I'll look into it...

Reply #4
Try this link to the whole album:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/booksixstudios/album?.dir=/753bscd&.src=ph&.tok=phZHKyGBpqUAhZX7

Reply #5
that works !!!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #6
Other than the blemishes, that is a sweet looking TC. I hope you can sell it whole.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #7
Thanks a million Ether.  I was so pissed when the car got hit in the back.  It's SO close to being absolutely amazing (couple fixes and what not) and is so fun to drive.  I really hope I can sell it whole for the right price as well because another 'bird lover deserves this car!  I'm really gonna miss it...

Reply #8
if you can sell that for $9,000 i wonder whats mine's worth.

Not a bad car lots of work done to it i'd pay around $8-10,000 only cuz i know how much of pain it is to swap all that stuff out.

Nice ride shame its gotta go
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #9
Wow that is a nice car.  I'd pick it up in a heartbeat if I had the money.

Reply #10
Ha!  you're telling me it's a shame!  This was the first I car I bought and it's been quite a few years to where it is now!  And if I could get 9000 I'd be happy, too!  I think we're still a few years from everyone really realizing the value of these ever rarer cars...

But anyway, thanks for the support and input...  glad there are so many broke t'bird lovers like me that would like the car but have no money!  LOL

Reply #11
I want it too! I'll trade you my truck for it, and Im not even joking.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #12
Why are you selling?

Reply #13
Need to focus on my music career... not only am I putting to much time and money into upgrades, changes, cruising etc... which you all know never ends...  but I need something that I'm not afraid to dump my gear in to get to shows.  Hopefully prioritizing now will let me have another TC in the future...

Reply #14
I hate to be a realist, but I'm pretty sure unless you find the right person, you'll never get that kind of money for it.  I'd almost have to say someone on this board would have to get it.  It's a shame too, since it's such a good looking well put together car.  I hope you really do find a good home for it, and that it gets to stay whole.