Skip to main content
Topic: grille color for my 20th anny? (Read 1040 times) previous topic - next topic

grille color for my 20th anny?

alright FINALLY done with my first year of college (yeah at the same time it did seem to go pretty fast) so now i can get working on some cosmetic things ive been ACHING to do...

like this grille. as some might know my dad rear ended someone with this thing at like 5-10 mph, hence the yellow showing on the front bumper :hick:  dunno what ill do about that, but he had to replace the cracked up grille.

is the color i need to paint it EXACTLY the same as the car? can i find it in a rattle-can? my cousin does run a shop and he does bodywork, im sure hed do it cheap, but is there some paint "code" i can give him for a mixture to make up? this gray-silver grille looks dreadful compared to the colored one that way it used to be, which is absolutely beautiful IMO.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
You can give him the paint code for the exterior of your car. You can try Duplicolor rattle can. I bought one I thought was right, it was a few shades darker. I work in a Body Shop, and I made the bad mistake of not checking how close it actually matched. If you could get a rattle can color to match real close, just scratch the grill with a scotch brite pad, clean it and spray.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #2
1987 Medium Cabernet Red is listed as code 2H (or somtimes 2S, I don't know why). I'm thinking it may not be pre-mixed in a Duplicolor can, so...might need to talk to your cousin if it's not. Yes, it is the same color as the rest of the car.

Reply #3
cool! thanks, i figured youd probably chime in ;)

i just remember when my dad got the car it almost seemed just a *little* darker than the body color. ill post PICS when its done, i cant wait now!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #4
It is body color...

Maybe it looked a "little darker" because of lighting (shadows) caused by the design of the grill itself...or maybe a little extra layer of dirt - because the grill has all those hard to reach places :D