Skip to main content
Topic: Painting The Tbird Black Help Me Out Peoples (Read 2291 times) previous topic - next topic

Painting The Tbird Black Help Me Out Peoples

hey guys.. i been going out to different body shops and was getting rpice qutoes on to paint my 88 t bird.. i got one for $1000.00 .  Which includes body work and painting the car black.. this includes putting 2 stripes down the middle of the car.. What i need help with is should i keep teh turbocoupe hood on it?? or use the solid hood??  also should i get 2 stripes down the middle or no????  car will be black and either silver or red stripes if i get stripes.. let me know guys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]5.0 Standard
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
Magnaflow mustang exhaust
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

Reply #1
If your going black, keep the T/c hood on it with no stripes. Maybe get creative and do a custom pinstrips around/on the scoop. Then a pinstripe down the side in maybe a dark grey/silver combo and be one

Reply #2
I vote if you don't plan on using the hood scoops then leave them off.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #3
Quote from: Ether947;146125
I vote if you don't plan on using the hood scoops then leave them off.

o00o so u mean if i do use the tc hood then get the stripes?? but if i dunt use it dunt get the stripes?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]5.0 Standard
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
Magnaflow mustang exhaust
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

Reply #4
IMO, $1000 is cheap.  Cheap will reflect in quality of bodywork, and poor bodywork definately shows in black.  But I'm picky like that.  I'd go with all black.  And maybe a silver stripe around the back, like on the old Darts.  Actually, it's ultimately up to you.
1987 TC

Reply #5
IMO, $1000 is cheap. Cheap will reflect in quality of bodywork, and poor bodywork definately shows in black.

I have to agree with that. Been there, done that. :hick:

Reply #6
IMO, TC hoods are overdone and unless the scoops are functional (as they are on the TC) then I'm tired of seeing 'em.

Reply #7
Quote from: Ifixyawata;146194
IMO, TC hoods are overdone and unless the scoops are functional (as they are on the TC) then I'm tired of seeing 'em.

That's what I meant.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #8
No stripes.T-Birds just weren't made for them.No matter how fast we can make our cars,or what we do to them,stripes just don't "fit" our cars.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
I agree about the $1000 being cheap. Just to give you an idea. I had my car all done for $1000 about 8-9 years ago and he was my cousin doing me a favor too...

Take the bird emblems off the sides (look at my sig) I think it looks better without them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
Wow...$1K is cheap....

How much body work is going to be needed?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #11
I say no stripe and plain hood.

I agree with the others 1000 is cheap.  Be sure to tell him what you expect for the 1000.  I would pay a lil more if need be for what you want.  Obviously you are not going to get a show quality job in that range of price but a wanting a good job is not too much to ask.

I got mine done for 1500 with very minor body work and yes my price too was a favor.  They did do multiple coats of paint and clear if i remember right.  It still looks great after a couple years too.

Reply #12
My 83' is near mint except for some lower door issues and my friend runs a bodyshop and is going to let me help dothe car with him and I am paying about $1500 for it.  Paint is about half of that.  Paint has really jumped in price in the last few years not to mention clearcoat.  Are they doing the door jambs also?  That price is awfly cheap.  Just remember you get what you pay for.

Reply #13
Keep the TC hood,regular is too plain.
NO stripes, please don't do stripes,they just don't look right.

Reply #14
Stripes=Bad

they don't fit a T-Bird
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily: