Skip to main content
Topic: ford bronco 5.0 (Read 2403 times) previous topic - next topic

ford bronco 5.0

does anybody know anything about the ford bronco's 5.0? my neighbor is selling his motor but he doesnt know what type it is. is it a E6 SO, or a E7 HO? or is it totally different?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

ford bronco 5.0

Reply #1
what year
and check the heads they should say e6 or e7, and the intake will say if its a ho
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

ford bronco 5.0

Reply #2
If it's an '87 or newer and stock, it's an E7 SO. Yes, I know, you only thought SO's came with E6's, but the truck engines came with E7's - in fact, that's where Ford got them from for the HO (the TE in E7TE means Truck Engine). They have the same firing order as the SO's, and the intakes are completely different (truck engines used a very tall intake). I think, but not 100% sure, that the trucks used flat tappet cams as well (but the blocks are machined for rollers)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

ford bronco 5.0

Reply #3
Kinda funny. Doesn't Ford use the three valve truck heads on the 05 and up Mustangs? History repeats itself again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)

ford bronco 5.0

Reply #4
oo alright, thanks for the help!
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

ford bronco 5.0

Reply #5
That tall intake (obviously, it's a truck) is good for torque, but it rapidly runs out of steam above 3500 RPM stock.
I've got 3.55 gears in the rearend of mine, along with the M5R2, and it's amazing up till then..
but plans are to do some stuff in put the horsepower in the 240-250 mark....but that's after the Bird on the road. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

ford bronco 5.0

Reply #6
Quote from: Blackbird1;145050
Kinda funny. Doesn't Ford use the three valve truck heads on the 05 and up Mustangs? History repeats itself again.

Guess maybe their flagship car plays second fiddle to the mighty F-series.

ford bronco 5.0

Reply #7
now just use the 351w duel throttle body on that intake.  huge difference and im sure it will help in air flow.  the 302 had a duel tb but much smaller.

ford bronco 5.0

Reply #8
That tall intake (obviously, it's a truck) is good for torque, but it rapidly runs out of steam above 3500 RPM stock.
I've got 3.55 gears in the rearend of mine, along with the M5R2, and it's amazing up till then..

Alot of that has to do with the truck cam as well.  AFAIK it's the same cam the SO passenger car 5.0's had.

Different cams and springs for more RPM's and a higher redline.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

ford bronco 5.0

Reply #9
My 93 5.0L Bronco has factory 19lb. orange cap (ie. ho style) fuel injectors, speed density, e40d trans, and bank fire injection and a 302 so firing order. I believe it also has e7 heads with a roller block with a flat tappet cam. Sorry I can't verify the heads and the cam setup but with 185K, I may find out soon. Best vehicle I have ever owned. ;) Hope this helps.
 Mike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha