Skip to main content
Topic: idel problem!! help!! (Read 1331 times) previous topic - next topic

idel problem!! help!!

the RPM's bounce 1000 rpm when im in neutral and park, but when i put it in drive it asks normal. i got a new idel control and tps sensor but it didnt fix it.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #1
What RPM does it idle at in gear?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #2
it idles at 600 in drive
the RPM's bounce about 12 times, it goes as low as 100 rpms. and it dies sometimes.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #3
Any problems when it's under load or just at idle?

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #4
If it's just at idle I would be leaning towards a map sensor or mass air depending on your application.

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #5
so you think the sensor could be dirty?

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #6
what do you mean by depending in my application

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #7
Mass air?

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #8
It's possible the mass air could be dirty but more likely it is damaged or shorted internally. Take a look inside the meter. See if there is any damage to the little wire inside the little hole.

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #9
so how should i clean the mass air?

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #10
Don't worry about mass air, you don't have it.
Check for vacuum leaks. For instance the line that runs from the passenger side front of the engine bay below the air box to the center bottom of the upper intake manifold. It's a decent sized black rubber hose. Mine split on me and it caused the idle to fluctuate and the car to sometimes die.

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #11
Vacuum lines and proper idle & tps sensor adjustment (iac unplugged when adjusting, then plug in when done), check them all. "Proper" idle adjustment fixed this for me, only time its a little rocky is with a/c running but I'm running a very low idle.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

idel problem!! help!!

Reply #12
codes,, check my diy link for the steps to do so.

up and down like that tells me its not gonna be a big ass vac leak but possibly a small one. just take each line one at a time or spray carb cleaner along the lines till the rpm changes.  that will help locate the problem.

if the motor is bone cold, disable the fan just for a couple minutes to you can hear real well for vac leaks to.
i drilled a hole in my fan shround (drivers side ) right perfect so that i can drop a long bolt in the hole that stops a fan blade.  just rotate the fan up to the bolt then start.  its amazing what you can hear without a fan.
or,,,,
just take the belt off.

as for cleaning,, whats good for stuff like this and computers, dvd's, vcr's ect is Acetone fingernail polish remover.  that stuff evaporates and leaves no residue.  good stuff.  dont use that "non Acetone" stuff, evaps maybe a year from now.:D