Skip to main content
Topic: just acouple head questions (Read 1475 times) previous topic - next topic

just acouple head questions

will milling chambers down to 65cc be safe for a SO motor? and can i use 1.7 roller rockers with HO cam with SO pistons? i looked around but i couldnt find any threads. also, the HO cam has .444 lift right? i found a cam with .448/.472, does that mean i can run it at any lift between .448 and .472?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
The 444 is correct.anything bigger is ??? with SO pistons.478 is the ex. on that not in between.Milling the head There's nothing but a nightmare for what your thinkin.I take it your talkin stock E6 heads ?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
oo ok, nope, i found a pair of E7's fully rebuild and they will customize the heads. everything from fully porting to bigger valves,
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #3
Ok for that last time: SO pistons will ONLY ONLY work with stock E6 heads, Trick Flow Twisted wedge heads, or the HO E7 heads and the stock HO cam. Any bigger cam, bigger valves, or bigger rockers WILL HIT THE PISTONS. You CAN NOT use GT-40, GT-40P, Edelbrock, AFR, or any other aftermarket heads if you have stock SO pistons. If you are going to modify your engine to an extent other than a stock HO conversion YOU NEED HO PISTONS.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
AHEM-----Flat tops, ported E7's, custom cam, 1.7 rockers.....  lift of .480 on my old setup.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
V8demon, when you say old setup, do you mean with SO pistons?

Reply #6
so pistons are flat tops, ho's are notched
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #7
They were (and still are 'cause I still use them) forged flat tops.  They are not the originals that came with the car, but they have a zero deck height.

BTW, Ive been told e7's and flat tops CAN get .500 lift with the right cam/valve moments.

And no I dont have the cam anymore......And no, I don't have the specs.  There were absolutely no markings on it and the previous owner of the car installed it.
It pulled like a son of a b&^$* throughout the RPM range....REALLY well from 2000-4500.  With my 3.27's and stock convertor I was having major wheel hop problems when I swapped in my full locking diff.  The CHE control arms helped, but it was still there on a hot night on the street.  Still is with my current setup, but it's more subdued.  It's a little easier to launch the car now and she pulls much better up top.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Quote from: V8Demon;145062
They were (and still are 'cause I still use them) forged flat tops.  They are not the originals that came with the car, but they have a zero deck height.

BTW, Ive been told e7's and flat tops CAN get .500 lift with the right cam/valve moments.

And no I dont have the cam anymore......And no, I don't have the specs.  There were absolutely no markings on it and the previous owner of the car installed it.
It pulled like a son of a b&^$* throughout the RPM range....REALLY well from 2000-4500.  With my 3.27's and stock convertor I was having major wheel hop problems when I swapped in my full locking diff.  The CHE control arms helped, but it was still there on a hot night on the street.  Still is with my current setup, but it's more subdued.  It's a little easier to launch the car now and she pulls much better up top.

With stock E7 heads you can get that high of a lift and not hit the SO pistons. I believe that he wants to run a biggger cam (ie E303) and GT-40 or larger heads which will hit the pistons. I have GT-40P heads and with the 1.84 intake valve and .533 lift Comp 266HR cam I have I'd be smacking the pistons on a stock SO block. Hell from what I've read even with the stock HO cam GT-40P heads will hit the piston on an SO block.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
whatever the case,, a thicker headgasket will cure what ailes ya:D

either way,, its doable from my notes and hell,, from what i have now,,,lol.  i really dont think anyone here would wanna get any tighter with the risk of interferance than i am.  I did the clay thing with mine and i swear the clay was so thin, it was translucent when held up to a light.  thats why i just settled for the thicker gasket.

i cant wait to get rid of this cam anyway,, pita.  Not enought lobe separation imho.  thats whacha gotta watch out for in an EFI setup (as i was told and did not listen)

these heads are stock 54 cc but have been milled .030, ported/polished with larger valves.  i have no idea what the cc is now cause any difference was made up in my .040 over bore.

Reply #10
I just rebuilt a HO and dropped it in. It was easier than worring about really close piston to valve clearance:D

Reply #11
i cant wait to get rid of this cam anyway,, pita. Not enought lobe separation imho. thats whacha gotta watch out for in an EFI setup (as i was told and did not listen)

How many times have I said this?  Especially with Speed density!

these heads are stock 54 cc but have been milled .030, ported/polished with larger valves. i have no idea what the cc is now cause any difference was made up in my .040 over bore.

What heads were they again?

Reply #12
Quote from: V8Demon;145481
How many times have I said this?  Especially with Speed density!

What heads were they again?

yes you have many times,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D but im not really sure if the CFI falls in the speed density catagory or not.  I think it does but i remember there being some differing views since mine was/is sort of CFI.

heads are c6 casting.  Valves are bigger than the 289HO as well as studed.

note how close the spark plug hole is to the intake valve.  1.9 is as big as i could go.

Reply #13
I feel the need to make a mess of all this by saying my 83's engine did indeed have valve reliefs, 4 of them.  But ofcourse it also had D8 heads and a Motorcraft 2150 carb instead of CFI.  Probably most of you will never see such an engine :D
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton