Skip to main content
Topic: Headlight Covers/Gaurds (Read 2715 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Been a long time since i posted, Havent progressed much on my project... Lack of time and room to work. :punchballs:
But i've been picking up various parts along the way, So i'll have em ready to go when the time comes. :hick:

Anyway, I was looking into headlight covers for a nice clean look for the front end.
I'm only finding GTS brand to be easily avalaible.
I was thinking of going clear so i wouldnt have to switch out the smoked ones at night, but im unsure of how this would look... Does anyone have any pics of these installed on an 83-86?
And does anyone know of any other makes that are avalaible? Or have pictures of any old makes installed?
I'm trying to get an idea of if i would really care for this look or not.

Thanks!
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #1
I have a picture of the smoked ones that are on my car. They don't cover the marker light, I used night shades and did that my self. It is a PITA to see at night, I rely mostly on my driving lights, but I just recently did the H4 conversion with 90w low, and 130w high, but I havent driven the car yet this year to see what kind of difference that has made.

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #2
Here is my Cougar with a blue set and a chrome set I made.

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #3
Quote from: 83Heritage;144066
It is a PITA to see at night, I rely mostly on my driving lights, but I just recently did the H4 conversion with 90w low, and 130w high, but I havent driven the car yet this year to see what kind of difference that has made.

Or you could just take them off...

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #4
Nice,
That's more of the look i was going for in both the pics, The previous one i had seen had covered the nearly entire housing assembly.

Do the clear ones get scratched/dirty and ugly a lil after while?

I found some really nice NOS stock ones on ebay from wade, but tryed to bid at the last second and it had jumped almost $30 so i missed out. :flame:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320107380178&rd=1,1
Anyone know if wade is still making guards for these years?
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #6
Awesome, Thanks for the link.
I was hoping to pay about that much for them, My local autozone has a pair in stock but they want 77.99 for them. :punchballs:

Any info about the clears getting discolored, faded or ugly after awhile?

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #7
Quote from: Romeo2k;144175
Awesome, Thanks for the link.
I was hoping to pay about that much for them, My local autozone has a pair in stock but they want 77.99 for them. :punchballs:

Any info about the clears getting discolored, faded or ugly after awhile?

Probably depends on the material they are made out of.

I had clear Ford Motorsport covers on my '83 for years and they never got ugly. There was some slight pitting but with regular cleaning and waxing the stayed nice. A stone finally cracked one so that was the end of them.
tbirdregistry.com

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #8
Sounds good, Thanks for the info, Sorry to hear one broke. >.<

And 83Heri and 1WLD, Did you paint your corner lights in those pics?
And did that work out well?

I was interested in smoking mine like these:

But i'm not completely sure how to go about doing this.

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #9
yeah mine were painted, but I have a cougar outline left on it so when the lights were on the cougar emblem lit up.

Like this:

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #10
1WLD BRD: How did you make those chrome ones?
Anyone ever painted their side markers body color with the Cougar emblem. I know Eric did on his Convertible.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #11
it's top secret....  I could tell you but then I'de have ta kill ya.....  J/K, chrome 5% window tint.  best part? I never had to remove them for night driving....  either pair.  they were bright enough to safely drive at night with them on.  with the chrome ones, you couldn't even tell they were on at all, the light shined through that well.

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #12
Quote from: Red_LX;144107
Or you could just take them off...

Then every time I drive it at night, I would have to remove them, the put them on again the next day. It just seems like more trouble than it is worth when I can just get brighter lights to compensate for them.

Quote from: Romeo2k;144593
And 83Heri and 1WLD, Did you paint your corner lights in those pics?
And did that work out well?
I was interested in smoking mine like these:

Mine are "smoked" I just did it really heavy, to match the car. I used nightshades. Its also available at Summit Racing. The number of coats you do determines the darkness.

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #13
Those of you that have made your own did you use plexi or lexan? Also did you just use a flat sheet and cut it to shape or is there some sort of bend needed that I can't make at home? Also what did you use to attech them to the car? I was thinking about some sort of heavy rubber type weather strip with some velcro on it. Then the velcro would hold them on but you could remove them if you wanted. I also had a set of AVS headlight covers but one blew off after about 3mos. I still have the driver side like that does me any good.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Headlight Covers/Gaurds

Reply #14
You cant get Plexi around here, in fact I dont even think they make it anymore. 

So, I made mine out of a sheet of 1/8" Lexan, you have to heat the outside upper corner and put a slight bend in it to fit them right.  I also made these brackets from the same lexan.  They screw or double sided tape, to the sides of the light housings, then the covers atach with little squares of velcro.