Skip to main content
Topic: More weird rust (Read 912 times) previous topic - next topic

More weird rust

So I pulled off the weatherstripping on the driver's side and found this:

This is the strangest car I've ever seen. It doesn't rust in the places it's supposed to, and it does rust in the places it's not. This'll be a fun one to fix...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

More weird rust

Reply #1
Ouch.I'm glad we  don't have rust in Oklahoma.maybe a little surface rust after years and years of baking,but nothing serious.Oh well,it's just something else to keep you busy.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

More weird rust

Reply #2
I have the same problem only mine is WAY worse then that.  Check this out, there are actually holes right through it.  Alex's '84 had the same problem as well.  I brushed some fiberglass resin over it to seal it for now, and prevent it from spreading.  My parts '86 is mint in that area, so I am going to cut it out and weld it in soon.

More weird rust

Reply #3
Sweet merciful . I'd have fainted if I'd have found that under there (although I'd have known it was there - obviously that rust was showing). I'm thinking I'll probably brush some resin on as well, after sandblasting and then treating with rust converter. I might even put a small strip of fiberglass mat there where it looks like the "lip" is missing
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

More weird rust

Reply #4
yeah the paint was bubbling there, and when I hit it with the blaster It blasted some holes right through it, I thought , how in the hell am I going to fix this?!?!  but then my buddy mentioned my '86 and we found it to be mint.  problem solved for me.

More weird rust

Reply #5
i can say honestly ive never seen that before...that sucks. shouldnt be too much of a biggie though i supopose. it just realy sucks to find something like that.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~