Skip to main content
Topic: 1983-1984 Cougar Headlight Covers NOS Ford Motorsport -SOLD- (Read 622 times) previous topic - next topic

1983-1984 Cougar Headlight Covers NOS Ford Motorsport -SOLD-

<<>>

Pair of Clear headlight covers

Ford Motorsport Part # M15233A713

$50 plus shipping
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #1
Quote from: baxo;143179
Just keep in mind, cougar ones will not fit the thunderbirds.

I didn't catch that they were for a :cougarsmily:. I just saw 83-84, and who posted it knowing he has a Heritage, and assumed they were for a :birdsmily:. Please disregard post. I will go and:punchballs: myself now.

Do you have pictures of the covers and the clips to hold them on? I have a set in my garage that I was told are Motorsport, and the headlight buckets had holes drilled in them for the brackets, but I can't find the brackets for the life of me. If they are the same as what I have I would be interested.

Reply #2
Just keep in mind, cougar ones will not fit the thunderbirds.

Reply #3
Why not? Arn't they the same

Reply #4
The angle of the headlight bezels is different.  As you might guess, the Cougar's are more upright, less sloped than the T-bird ones.

Reply #5
IIRC the Motorsport covers all had the rubber around edges, with Velcro for where they attached to the headlight buckets. Ford recommended using a credit card to remove the covers from the headlight buckets...when in actuality, all that was needed to remove the covers was a strong wind. ;)

I had a pair of covers from JC Whitney that had brackets, though. Hell, I used to make my own covers and brackets...that was kind of fun. Nothing like the smell of burned flesh after accidentally touching my fingers on the grinding wheel, while trying to smooth out the edges of the plexiglass. Mmm mmm, fond memories o' that. But I did rock some ultra-sweet clear covers, with the Cougar logo etched on the back side, right in the middle.

Anyhow, there used to be another completely different set of headlight covers for our cars, that I believe Motorsport also sold. I only saw them once in my entire life, in 1988, and of course they were for a T-Bird so I didn't buy them. They were a black plastic ring that went completely around the headlight bezel's chrome section, and the covers were permanently attached in the middle. The whole thing would just snap onto the headlight bucket. Not only did you get blackout headlight covers, but the chrome around non-TC headlight buckets also got "blacked out". Slick. Maybe Brent has some info on these, as he's got older Motorsport catalogs than I do.

Reply #6
Quote from: Ifixyawata;143201
The angle of the headlight bezels is different.  As you might guess, the Cougar's are more upright, less sloped than the T-bird ones.

Good description. Here's an example of the difference. Funny how much they look the same on the cars.

You can see where I had the Velcro mounted on my TBird bezel. They never blew off but one caught a stone and cracked no doubt saving a headlight and maybe the bezel.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #7
Quote from: EricCoolCats;143208
IIRC the Motorsport covers all had the rubber around edges, with Velcro for where they attached to the headlight buckets. Ford recommended using a credit card to remove the covers from the headlight buckets...when in actuality, all that was needed to remove the covers was a strong wind. ;).......Anyhow, there used to be another completely different set of headlight covers for our cars, that I believe Motorsport also sold. I only saw them once in my entire life, in 1988, and of course they were for a T-Bird so I didn't buy them. They were a black plastic ring that went completely around the headlight bezel's chrome section, and the covers were permanently attached in the middle. The whole thing would just snap onto the headlight bucket. Not only did you get blackout headlight covers, but the chrome around non-TC headlight buckets also got "blacked out". Slick. Maybe Brent has some info on these, as he's got older Motorsport catalogs than I do.

The covers that Ford Motorsport sold were made by Extang out of Ann Arbor, MI. They are still in business, but they don't make the headlight covers anymore. :(
I have a set for my Cougar and probably put about 30,000 miles on them without any issues of them coming off, but I may have been one of the lucky ones. ;)

I seem to recall the other ones that you are talking about Eric but I'm pretty sure that Motorsport only offered the Extang source ones.

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #8
So these are for a Cougar? and are blackouts?? $50??? I want them!!!!
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #9
Sale pending...
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #10
Quote from: cougrrr302;143675
So these are for a Cougar? and are blackouts?? $50??? I want them!!!!

I dont know what you mean by blackouts but these are clear, not blackouts just covers.

<<>>

Pair of Clear headlight covers

Ford Motorsport Part # M15233A713

$50 plus shipping

Reply #11
I wondered if they were tinted or the smoked looking covers. I dont care they are perfect and Im buying them!
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit