Skip to main content
Topic: Has anyone done this? (Read 2695 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anyone done this?

I really like the front end of the turbo coupe front, but hate the rear ends, they just seem so long. I don't really like the front of the cougar because of the grill and the lack of style in the headlights, and I like the rear end cause it looks short.

Has anyone swapped the front end of a thunderbird to a cougar or vice versa? Does anyone like the outcome? Post pics if you got'em.

Re: Has anyone done this?

Reply #1
yes people have, and i photoshopped one up. i think its in the ps section let me check for ya

Reply #3
i have a pic of a 84 thunder bird with a 87 front end
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
The front is easy,it's all bolt on.The rear is a different story,There would be some major welding and bodywork to swap the rear.There's an '87 Cougar here in town with a Turbo-Coupe front end on it.I would like to have the header panel (nose),but the hood I don't want.I like ite it a lot,but I have plans on grafting the center of another hood to mine and raising it a little,then have the shaker through that.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Just the bumper, still with Cougar lights. :grinno:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
Cougarman,
Have you tried shaving 1/2" or so off the top of the grille?
A guy named Greg did that with his '87 XR7 and it looked incredible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
Yes, I thought about it, but I wanted to keep the emblem centered. I was making a custom grille, but decided I liked the stock Cougar grille better. :grinno:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #8
I have a thunderbird header panel on my cougar with a custom  grille.. (see sig)