Skip to main content
Topic: HOW TO: Install Aerobird Motorsports 83-86 replacement chrome trim (Read 2986 times) previous topic - next topic

HOW TO: Install Aerobird Motorsports 83-86 replacement chrome trim

This was originally posted in my "New Item Every Week" Thread, but I decided it would be much better served in the Appearance Section and I can clean that thread up a bit for this week's product ;) .

OK, Here we go!

First, use a new #11 X-acto knife to remove the old chrome (this piece took me about 2 minutes).

Then sand the area smooth. The nicer you do this, the better it turns out. Start with some 200, then make sure you finish with at least a 400 grit. If you sand the whole rubber piece, end with some 1200 and it looks really nice.

Then CLEAN. Use a nice degreaser, followed by some rubbing alcohol on a rag to promote adhesion.

Reply #1
Then lay out your piece, make it extra long and trim to fit.

Push it down real well, going back and forth. This is a LOT easier with the trim on the car. Use a heat gun/blowdrier at LOW setting or a hot day for maximum wrinkle-free ness.

Trim the edges with the X-Acto.

Reply #2
#11 blades.I wish I had a quarter for every one I've used over the years.That would be some major cash.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Polish trim piece with Mother's Back-to-Black and call it done. This whole process and this extremely py trim piece in a cold garage took me 10 minutes start to finish. Doing it on an entire car on a warm day will be about 2 hours and would look amazing.

Remember, PREP and HEAT are your friends with vinyl! And cleanliness is next to godliness ;)

Reply #4
1983-1986 Thunderbird, 1983-1984 TC, 1983-1986 Cougar
Replacement chrome vinyl for the "wide" bodyside moldings.

I coulnd't find the right width to save my life, so I had some custom made. Peel off your old, flaky chrome, clean well, and use this. Custom cut. 50' in a roll so you'll have plenty. 7-10 year life.

$24.99 SHIPPED per set ($5 off if ordered with anything else except the decals). I have 3 in stock.

Reply #5
i'll take 1..... paypal?

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #6
Would that also work on the base cars that don't have the wide molding?
Also does it work on the front and rear bumper as well or just the sides?

Reply #7
mywifeskitty - Our PayPal ID is:

sales@aerobirdmotorsports.com

$24.99 shipped by itself.

5.0willgo - It works on the front and rear bumpers, the front and rear side trim, and the "wide" side trim in-between the wheels. I don't have any "narrow" trim here but imagine it will still be the correct width.

Reply #8
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;141782
mywifeskitty - Our PayPal ID is:

sales@aerobirdmotorsports.com

$24.99 shipped by itself.

sent ;)

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #9
Recieved ;)

I'll pack it up, and I might be going to the USPS today, but they're closed on Sat anyways. You should see it Tues-Weds. Let me know how you like it.

Reply #10
Cool Mike, I'll measure the width on the narrow side trim and get back with you.

I wish I could get these now but I have many other things to get done first. Will you have them available from now on?

Reply #11
Hmm would something like this work to redo the chrome strip on the 87-88 base, LX, and Sport T-birds and 87-88 Cougars?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #12
Fred,
They will be an always-availbe, regularly stocked item from now on.

thunderjet302,
I already sell replacement chrome trim for the 87/88 Bird's :hick: http://www.aerobirdmotorsports.com click on Catalog, click on Appearance.

Reply #13
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;142165
Fred,
They will be an always-availbe, regularly stocked item from now on.

thunderjet302,
I already sell replacement chrome trim for the 87/88 Bird's :hick: http://www.aerobirdmotorsports.com click on Catalog, click on Appearance.

Will that stuff work on the side trim? I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it out with out destroying the trim.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #14
The side trim is non-replaceable. The chrome is molded in. I can have some chrome custom-cut like the 83-86 stuff to cover it if that's what you are looking for.