Skip to main content
Topic: Evolution of a Bird (Read 3433 times) previous topic - next topic

Evolution of a Bird

Looked at my Bird sitting in the driveway yesterday and seemed to be sitting a bit high in the left rear corner. Figured Aww  flat right front, looked around the side of the car and didn’t appear so (although it was starting to get dark and the tire was up against a bush) figured it was just the lay of the driveway (lot’s of tree roots messing with the flatness on that side of the drive) Well came out to go to work this morning and sure enough, flat as a board.
If you recall from my introduction my tires are shot so it’s not worth patching (if I was a tire guy I wouldn’t, there THAT bad) so is time to get tires for the bullits and convert to 5 lugs. Luckily I just ordered my 5 Lug rotors from North Racecars last week and I’m expecting them any day.
My rear is about ready to go in. I still need to purchase the Rotors and Tires for it also, So I suppose I best be getting to it. :beatyoass: Car’s going to be looking a bit funky with 18” Bullits on the front and 14” $4.00 hubcaps on the back if I don't.

Time to get started
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #1
What's the differance between their front rotors and stock parts store mark vii rotors???

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #2
The Mark VII Rotors off the 84 I had (still have rotors, spindles, Calipers, and struts) are Larger Diameter than my 88 T-Birds.
That was the original plan was to use those (one of the reasons I bought the Mark) but I pulled them a measured the difference.
Going from memory (not REAL reliable considering my age and my past) the bird has 10” rotors and the Mark has 11.65. The calipers from my Bird are not going to fit over the Mark Rotors. I looked at changing the Calipers and they will not bolt to my Spindles (bolt pattern is wider by approximately and inch) and I looked at changing Spindles and all (that’s why I pulled them before I sped the Mark) and NOW I have read I will have lower Ball Joint issues. I believe there is a fix (special ball joint?) but decided not to go that route. I considered turning the rotors down (I have access to a lathe) but balance issues concern me with that.
I’m in the middle of trying to build a house right now and looking for an easy fast direct replacement. And I believe these rotors are it.

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #3
87 up mustang spindles or 87 88 TC spindles.
One 88

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #4
Quote from: CougarSE;140218
87 up mustang spindles or 87 88 TC spindles.

Fit what?

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #5
fit your car with no mods and give you 11" brakes...  so slide some late 80's mark rotors on it and call it a day.
One 88

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #6
So, if I'm following you correctly
87 Mustang Spindles (move my 88 Bird Calipers out)
Late 80's Mark Roters (supply 5 lug and 11")
and use my Calipers.

So do the Mark Roters change in the 80's or are the ones I have the right ones? (84 is early Mark but seems odd they would make that suttle of a change)

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #7
Use the mustang calipers or 87 88 tc calipers

On my 88 in the sig I have 88 TC spindles on my stock ball joints and stock tie rod ends..  You could put Mark vii rotors on those spindles and call it a day.  But word has it the center caps wont fit with those type spindles.
One 88

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #8
87-93 mustang spindles and 87-88 TC spindles work. You must use calipers from said vehicles, and you can use your Mark VII rotors. Thats the setup i run on the front of my TC.

If you need spindles, i have a pair.
It's Gumby's fault.

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #9
Remember, too, that it's gotta be a 5.0 Mustang. 4-cyl models have the same 10" brakes that you've got now.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #10
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;140293
Remember, too, that it's gotta be a 5.0 Mustang. 4-cyl models have the same 10" brakes that you've got now.

Unless of course that 4 cylinder is an SVO... in which case. Grab the whole car :D .  Or make sure you dismantle it and post pics all over the Mustang forums specifically saying it's for a T-bird :flip: .

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #11
Quote from: DakotaEpic;140317
Unless of course that 4 cylinder is an SVO... in which case. Grab the whole car :D .  Or make sure you dismantle it and post pics all over the Mustang forums specifically saying it's for a T-bird :flip: .

HAHAHAHAHA:stupid:
of course after send me the car!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #12
Bah!
And the rotors just showed up today and there 11"

I don't belive there going to fit my car anyway, grrrr

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #13
So I guess my question is this. Will the Mark calipers bolt on an work with the mark rotors and mustang V8 spindle. Or do you have to use the Mustang calipers. The mark calipers are huge when compared to the mustang unit. The bolt holes seem to line up in a bench test side by side. It is nice to work in a parts store sometimes. The only noticeable differnce is to me is the fact the the stang unit has a smaller piston than the mark unit. so does anyone know. Are the mustang V8 4 lug rotors 11"? If so big brakes still 4 lug seems eazy. Just need some 4 lug 10" drums and I'd be set. I still need another axel to do the 5 lug drum brake rear swap.  Also the mark rotors get more expensive the newer you get. They have the ABS sensor ring on the back side. Try and get older ones like 83-84 before they had that option.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Evolution of a Bird

Reply #14
So I guess my question is this. Will the Mark calipers bolt on an work with the mark rotors and mustang V8 spindle. Or do you have to use the Mustang calipers. The mark calipers are huge when compared to the mustang unit. The bolt holes seem to line up in a bench test side by side. It is nice to work in a parts store sometimes. The only noticeable differnce is to me is the fact the the stang unit has a smaller piston than the mark unit.

I dont know from first hand knowledge yet but according to Cool Cats:
Calipers
You will need brand new calipers for this conversion; don't skimp and try to use junkyard pieces. They're best for using for a core when you get new ones. Better yet, try remanufactured calipers---they're very inexpensive. Now you can use calipers from a Turbo Coupe or Mustang V8....but there's a cooler solution. The Mark VII is a much heavier car than a Mustang or TC, with the same size front brakes. As a result, the piston in the caliper for a Mark VII is way bigger (73mm) over the Mustang/TC. This provides better stopping power, while still using the same caliper, dimensionally. If you don't believe me, ask to see one of each and compare for yourself.