Skip to main content
Topic: Think i've finally decided. (Read 2601 times) previous topic - next topic

Think i've finally decided.

Well after looking at rims on evilbay for the past few days and trying to unsuccsesfully sell my gauges and tires i think i've finally decided what i'm gonna do:
Convert the TC to 5 lug with lincoln rotors on the front and redrilled axles and rotors on the rear.
Go with 18/9 and 18/10 FR500 deepdish rims wrapped in 235/40/18s on the front and 275/35/18s on the rear.
Had quite a few choices in rims for around the same dollar figure off ebay but after looking at the bullits on our cars i wasn't as inthused  as seeing the bare rims.
The deep dish cobra r's are nice and where a choice of mine quite some time ago in another thread but i can't get them in 18s and since the 2 tires i can't sell are of the 275/35/18 varity it is the better route.
Plus i have 18's on my supercoupe with the polished lip and black centers and i think there cat's ass.
Here's some pics of the wheels i looked at just to give you guys some ideas of what i'm after.

Reply #1
I think the FR500's look the most intimidating.Those are a wheel you just don't see that often.I wish they had a 17x10 1/2 Cobra R in 4 lug.I just bought the wheels about a month ago (17x9's),but would love to have the deeper wheels on the back.I need a different center cap.I like the Cobras,but they just aren't what i want overall.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Off topic ( sorry) but i'd like to see a Tbird logo on Cobra R wheels, seing as ALOT of people do them on our cars. I do however vote the FR500's in a dark silver wheel. Black if need be if it's what your after

Reply #3
I'm planning on using the Hyper color FR5oo's myself. 18 x 9's w/255's up front and 18 x 10's w/285's in the rear.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #4
I think I'm going to buy an extra set of center caps and have the guy who makes all of my vinyl graphics make a set of Thunderbirds for them.I'll need to find a way to install a clear cap over them to protect them.Hmmmmmm,a new project.Oh,again,FR500's.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Yea the cobra r's aren't made in 4 lug deep dish,this has been my major delema.
I even emailed the guy who sells all these rims(manufacturing plant oe wheel)about possibly making me a set and he said no can do.
This is why unfortunatley i have to go throught he hassle of going 5 lug ,and i'm sure it will be a hassle as i want to keep my abs and my vented rear discs.
No one has come up with a viable and cheap solution to running a TC(keeping the abs) and going 5lug so a redrill is my solution.
There are just no 4 lug options anymore except cobra r's in standard form and if i'm gonna spend the same coin on rims i might as well get what i want.
Vinnie: ever thought of using SVT senter caps, i might go that route later on and get rid of the cobra caps,they look the same size and fitment.
84fila:My bird is black, hence wanting the black centers with polished lip, silver would just not work with those rims on my car or look as mean.

Reply #6
Agreed. Do ya have a photo chop of the car with teh FR500's on it?

Reply #7
Here's a pic of my 91 with rvm 18s with black centers and polished lips, really like how they set off the car.

Reply #8
And a pic of a stang with the them.
No i don't have one but photochops don't always do half the justice to the real thing.

Reply #9

my buddy's stang with the last set of wheels and i like those, and the ones in the stang you posted
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #10
Nice wheels, bit I don't think I like them in black. I wonder if gunmetal gray would look better...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #11
I would go with a gunmetal or silver, myself.  But any one of those rims will look good.

I'm not a fan of the black on black rims look.  I ran a set of black bullits on my black '87 LX coupe and didn't like 'em.  prefered the gray ones.

Reply #12
Quote from: dominator;140139

No one has come up with a viable and cheap solution to running a TC(keeping the abs) and going 5lug so a redrill is my solution.

Any idea if '94-up SN95 axles could be used and just re drill the rotors???? The ABS sensor rings are different, thinking it may be possible just to swap the rings from the TC axles???

Reply #14
heres a pic of the fr500's on a bird, and they wont fit with lincoln rotors unless you take the centercap out and grind the rotor hub down,
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo