Skip to main content
Topic: Made my own Replica '85 XR-7 badges. (Read 2804 times) previous topic - next topic

Made my own Replica '85 XR-7 badges.

It was raining out the other day, and got bored being couped up inside.  So I made my own replica badges for an '85-'86 Cougar XR-7:cougarsmily: Next time, I might make up some 5.0L badges. :hick:

Still need to perfect them, but thought it was good enough for my tool box.  the unpainted ones have not been cleaned and sanded yet.

The original is the top one.

Reply #1
Thats pretty freakin cool!
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
Nice! Did you follow the Car Craft article?

Reply #3
hell no, lol, I've been playing around with making my own molds and replica badges for years.  I have also made copies of the gold "cougar" script from a '67 XR-7 too, along with the running pony badges.  I have that article but I didn't like the way there's turned out, plus it takes too long to make a badge that way.  I made all those XR-7 badges and was tpuppies the flashing with in 15 min's.

Reply #4
what did you use for a mold?  I've been working in plastic blow molding for the past year.  its definitely something interesting to get into.

Reply #5
that's neat as heck.
what kind of plastic/resin is that?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #6
 dude!  Those look nice, you could get into selling those I bet, if the demand was high enough.

Reply #7
Quote from: Ifixyawata;140065
dude!  Those look nice, you could get into selling those I bet, if the demand was high enough.

badges in general for anything would sell quickly...

badass idea man..

Reply #8
I cant give away my secrets if there is a market for them now can I? ;)  But I will say that they are made of fiberglass resin.

Reply #9
Very nice!

Any chance at T-Bird-specific engine badging with the Avant Garde font?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #10
I'm thinking the letters "GT", "Sport" and "LX" in the same plain-jane script Ford used to spell out "Thunderbird" on the trunks of these cars would sell well. Sport and LX would be obvious, but GT would be good for those of us building our own "Thunderbird GT"

I've got a few badges I'd like to recreate myself - when I bought this house there were a pair of V8 badges from a 30's Ford on one of the shelves. I want them on the fenders. I'd install em as is, but they weigh about a pound each and require drilling holes in the fender. I want to make resin ones that I can stick on with two-sided tape.

Oh, and 1 WLD BRD - fiberglass resin is cheap and works good, but the problem is that it's yellow. I've got some stuff that's water clear and can be tinted any colour. You can even use paint to tint it, as I did with my corner lamps. Mixing some metallic silver (or gold) paint in might produce some sharp results. Even without the clear stuff, you can also dye Fiberglass resin, but you must use dark colours like black, or colours that the yellowing won't affect so much, like... um... yellow, or red, or orange, or green.

The company that makes the clear resin and tints is called "Castin' Craft". You should be able to find it at large craft stores...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
That's cool!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #12
thanks for the commpliments guys, and thanks for the tip Carm, I will have to look into that.

Quietleaf; it may be possible but I will first have to build a badge like that, and that is going to require a good deal of fab work.  Would anybody be intrested in a 5.0L badge of that style on here?  Enough to make it worth my while making them?

Reply #13
I would probaly be. What colors would they be, silver and black?

Reply #14
you could paint them any colour combination you wanted.