Skip to main content
Topic: Rear End (Read 1931 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear End

just curious how wide is the 84 cougar rear end? been tryin to figure out the width of the rear end to see if i can find certain 9 inches that are similar widths to bolt into it

Re: Rear End

Reply #1
The 1983-85.5 Cougar/T-Bird had Fox Mustang width rear ends. So you can directly install any Fox Mustang 9" rear without major issues.

Reply #2
If they have the same width rear ends (my car's an 85) then that Mustang one I'm getting should be a direct bolt-in?  Eh?

Reply #3
Later '85s had the wider rear end housings.  If your rear brake drums are relatively flat across the face, it has the wider one.  If the center portion of the face where the axle attaches is offset toward the outside, it's the Mustang-width one.  Either one will bolt in place of the other, but the narrow one uses longer axles & offset brake drums to get the T-bird track width.  The wider housings use axles that are the same length, but are machined differently due to the different wheel bearing location.

Reply #4
well........ to my knowledge i dont think ANY fox mustangs had 9 inch rear end factory 8.8 yes.. im tryin to do the "junkyard hunts" lol thats why i am asking

Reply #5
No foxes had the 9 inch but there are companys that manufacture bolt in 9 inch rears.
One 88