Skip to main content
Topic: EGR Problems! (Read 1310 times) previous topic - next topic

EGR Problems!

Ok, so I did a few "Tests" today involving the EGR and I discovered the following:

1) In park, I accelerated to 3k RPM's and back down and an observer saw no movement in the EGR. The diaphragm did not move.

2) My official engine observer got a flat-head screw driver and pushed the plunger out manually, yet...the engine (While running at idle) did not die. Shouldn't it have?

3) There was no vacuum in the line running into the EGR. I revved the engine up to 4k and back and there was little to no pressure that could be felt in the line.

I did pull a code 83 and 34, both EGR related. I know 83 indicates some sort of error with the EGR Solenoid...which I presume controls vacuum. However, I'm baffled by the fact that the engine didn't die when my friend manually moved the Plunger on the EGR valve in and out. What should I do, buy an EGR and EGR Control solenoid?
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

EGR Problems!

Reply #1
how far did he move the plunger? if it was not all the way open, it may not have allowed enough exhaust gas to flow and choke it out. also perhaps part of the passageway it goes through is clogged with carbon deposits. you may have to pull it apart and have a look inside. im kinda leaning toward a blockage though, since you forced it open and nothing happened (noticeably anyway)

not sure about the vacuum. recently i did the same thing, pulled the line off, capped it with my finger, didnt feel it sucking at all. though it was at idle, so there would be no vacuum. nice little slap myself in the head moment right there. but you DID rev it up, so i got nothin for that.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

EGR Problems!

Reply #2
The thing is, I took off the EGR about a month ago because the base was cracked. I replaced it, and cleaned out everything at the time. My friend moved the plunger back as far as it would go.

And yes, I revved the engine to 4k while feeling the vacuum tube and I felt no suction of any sort.
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

EGR Problems!

Reply #3
Why can't you post in the proper forums?

The EGR is NOT going to function under no-load free-rev conditions.  That's why it didn't move when you revved it and why there was no vacuum on the line..the solenoid was closed.

Opening the EGR is not going to cause it to die...you're just adding a little "dirty" air to the system.  The worst it might do is miss a bit.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

EGR Problems!

Reply #4
My Powertrain manual is in a box somewhere so I can't reference it.

Any chance the 83 is a "High speed electro-drive fan circuit failure"?

Anyways, your 34 is "PFE or EVP circuit above the closed limit of 0.67 volts." Which would lead me to a bad EVP sensor.

Find the voltage while closed, then apply vacuum to the EGR and make sure the voltage moves smootly until it peaks out. Also make sure the EGR valve holds vacuum.

If the EVP sensor reads above .67V while closed (and there isn't any carbon keeping it slightly open)...it is time for a new EVP. An EGR that doesn't hold vacuum also needs to be replaced.

EGR Problems!

Reply #5
Did the 87-88TCs use an EVP?  I didn't think any of the 2.3T's did.  I know the 83-86's didn't.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

EGR Problems!

Reply #6
If the 87-88's had them I can tell you Layla sure doesn't anymore. I can't find anything like that on her.

EGR Problems!

Reply #7
Quote from: Chuck W;137030
Did the 87-88TCs use an EVP?  I didn't think any of the 2.3T's did.  I know the 83-86's didn't.

D'oh. Not according to rockauto. That is what I get for making assumptions without my manual (my precoiussss).

So, if a turbo 2.3's EGR system consists of an EGR tube, EGR valve, and EGR control solenoid...where is the feedback for the EEC to know how much gas is being injected?

------------------

If your car has has the recall work performed on it, the 34 is caused by the delay valve in the vacuum line - nothing to worry about.
Th 83 is an open circuit for the high-speed fan.

EGR Problems!

Reply #8
AFAIK, It "assumes" it based on engine load. That's why they don't run right with EGR delete.

EGR Problems!

Reply #9
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;137113
AFAIK, It "assumes" it based on engine load. That's why they don't run right with EGR delete.

That's a recipe for inaccuracy.
Is the EGR still enable even with a set EGR code? I know the my 3.8s and A9L 5.0s don't run EGR when a code is set.