Skip to main content
Topic: fox body Saleen wing on an '88 Bird (Read 3122 times) previous topic - next topic

fox body Saleen wing on an '88 Bird

Reply #15
Quote from: 5.0willgo;136088
I don't think it looks bad. Since it's white it looks huge and a little out of place but that will surely change once you paint it.

I think it would look awesome if the car had ground effects on it.

About the Nascar spoiler, IIRC in the past (and I'm talking the 80's through early 90's) the manufacturers would supply certain parts to teams. For instance the hood, trunk, front bumper, rear bumper and I think sometimes the roof panel. In theory, the trunk supplied by Ford for the T-bird in the 80's should be fairly close to a standard production part. So if you could find a spoiler from an '87-'88 T-bird race car, it should fit decently.

actually 83-88 (before and after that too) nascar had to used the stock green house, hod and deck lid.  and not all of the green house had to be used (the pillars didnt have to be the same legnth or stock essentially.  thats why when your runnin down the interstate, start passing a semi and when you get to the nose of the truck you notice the truck either pushing or pulling you twards it.  the bumpres were hand made, the headerpanel forward i should say. the skin on the doors and quarter panels i beleve were up to artistic licence, and the back bumper was built out of steel to simulate our rear bumpers.  but yea, the decklid, hood and roof were OEM parts. also nascar used the 302 sport coupe as the basis of their cars.. v8>4cyl etc.

Reply #16
That's not true. I have pics of a NASCAR garage in 87 doing the rebody work on the T-Birds and they had White TC bumpers on the rear.

Reply #17
Okay, I wasn't exactly sure how they did it in the '80's. I do remember touring Roush Racing in '94 and the fabricator said how Ford supplied them with the nose and rear bumper as well as the hood, roof, and deck lid. The nose and bumper weren't OEM parts from a street car but were distributed by Ford to all teams running their car.

Reply #18
I kinda like it. It'll look better after you paint it. I was always wondering if a stang wing would fit on our cars, just never had one to try it. I'd get yelled at for doing what I wanted to my car anyway by everybody here, ya know, "That's too ricey looking".
I'd probably put your other hood back on though. I saw it leaning on the barn in the back ground.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #19
Paint it and it won't look so huge-mongus.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #20
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;136092
That's not true. I have pics of a NASCAR garage in 87 doing the rebody work on the T-Birds and they had White TC bumpers on the rear.

Thats entirely possibly that the rear bumpers were stockish bumpers from ford, and for the front bumper, they have to use the same nose cone of fiberglass thats header to the ground, b/c it's spec racing.  i've watched plenty of espn classics nascar races with the 87 and 88 (even guys running 88s in 89) and they all had the sport coupe grille. i actually used my dvr and looked at every 87-88 bird and NONE had the tc header panel design.  i would figure since you really really had a lot of poetic licence with the cas back then, you'd see one turbo coupe.  now.. they did have a TC pace car in 87-88 and my dad's old boss owned one, and at the plant they had a quarter mile strip of parking lot and my dad said the guy let him drive it and it scared the shiznit out of the owner.  like now adays tho, ford, gm and toyta basically sells the body panels that make each car individual, but today they realllly dont use anything period OEM, plenty of parts a hot rod car owner would use, but not OEM.

back in the 80's they were pretty much unlimited.. i mean they were but no where near today.  and im ganna go on the record and say that our aerobirds were the dodge daytonas of the 80's b/c all of the good drivers from the 80's drove them.  bill elliot, the allisons, kuiki (sp?) etc all dominated with the aero bird.

Reply #21
Quote from: Autocat;136150
they all had the sport coupe grille. i actually used my dvr and looked at every 87-88 bird and NONE had the tc header panel design.  i would figure since you really really had a lot of poetic licence with the cas back then, you'd see one turbo coupe. 

A big reason for that is aerodynamic tuning. For high banked ovals, theyd tape the nose up for more air going over the car, and on short tracks, theyd take the tape off for airflow through the radiator, and more resistance on the nose.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #22
i have a 2001 mazda 626 wing on mine not much on that style of wing but hey if you like t h-ll with everyone else
:birdsmily:1985thunderchicken with 5.0 and dual pipes and more to come