Skip to main content
Topic: 302 HO swap ECU (Read 2196 times) previous topic - next topic

302 HO swap ECU

I have located a 302 HO longblock and can get a ford computer (ECU) but am not sure if these #'s are compatible, E9ZF-12A650-A2A. My trans is an AOD. Also, what about the wiring, I'm told I need (2) harnesses, one for comp., one for injectors. What about the sensors? This is a streetrod with an 88 302 efi, smog equipment removed. The 89 will not have smog equipment. I want to keep the engine as stripped as possible and still run well. Hope you guys that have helped me in the past are still out there. I am thinking of using my 88 upper and lower plenum and fuel rails and regulator and opening up the TB inlet hole for a 60 or 65 mm and putting in larger (19#) injectors.

Re: 302 HO swap ECU

Reply #1
302 HO longblock and can get a ford computer (ECU) but am not sure if these #'s are compatible, E9ZF-12A650-A2A

302 = Small Block
I Assume you want a Small block since you want to put 19# on it...
Good new... If the Engine is HO, it already have 19# injectors... ;)
If i remember right, HO = 60mm TB and EFI = 50mm.

E9ZF-12A650-A2A = Mustang LX 5.0HO 1990 Manual (Will work fine with AOD)
You can use a Manual EEC on AOD but not the opposite...

IMHO you should clean, paint or do whatever the HO engine need right now while it's already out.  Then, swap the whole thing....

Note :
- Dont forget to rewire your spark plugs with the HO firing order... its not the same as EFI... In coutrepart, Leave the Injector wires in the same order as it was with your old EFI firing order, your new ECU will handle the new firing order.

Reply #2
Quote from: Sly1990
302 = Small Block

Um, Long block = complete engine, small block = Cu. in. of engine (might be a bit off on that one). but he had it right.
A short block would be just the block maybe a crank and cam.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #3
Oh yeah... i forgot....

About the Wiring harness, Are u staying Speed Density or you converting to mass air?

Mass-Air will require you to do some wiring, but no new harness (Unless you absolutely wanty one)...

If you stay speed Density, It's plug and play....
Mass-air appeared in 89 on mustang....

Reply #4
Im really glad someone cleared up that whole long block/small block thing for me.  I saw that a few times and became confused because it looked like the same engine, and I always thought big block for the bigger engine not long block.  Thanks, Jason.

Reply #5
short block= block, crank, pistons and conn rods. Long block=all                    of the above + complete heads. just to clarify.