Skip to main content
Topic: Lessons learned from the Registry thread (Read 5451 times) previous topic - next topic

Lessons learned from the Registry thread

The registry thread has provided some GOOD discussion! Here's some facts so far:

87 20th Anny's are LS's not XR7's (I honestly did not know that).

Mikie's FILA came with a 5.0 and a 3.08 7.5" open rear (He still doesn't believe that :flame: )

Medium Canyon Red is a clearcoat metallic paint.

Paint codes:

1987:
33 - Silver Blue Clearcoat Metallic

1988:
26 - Medium Red Clearcoat Metallic
91 - Medium Grey Clearcoat Metallic

Interior Codes:

1988:
FD - Scarlet Red Leather
HD - Scarlet Red Cloth
BH - Charcoal/Raven cloth

Reply #1
Hey, even if it is open, I found this on coolcats. If you don't mind me using it Eric:
Rear Axle Ratio
Conventional Locking
    8          M        2.73
    Y          Z        3.08
    F          R        3.45
    5          E        3.27
    6          W        3.73

And according to my door tag:

I have AX code Y wich is a 3.08. Not much of a change but still. Now to me it apeares that the rear is not original to the car. The CA's maybe but it just looks newer. The hell with it anyways, as I have another rear going in it soon that will make me happy :evilgrin:

/ end minor rant/hissy fit

Reply #2
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;133882

Medium Canyon Red is a clearcoat metallic paint.

*innocent whistling* haha

Reply #3
One day I will beat Mikie with his 3.08 open 7.5" rear.

Newsflash, the Fairmont's not gonna have a 3.73 posi 8.8 either!

*sigh*

At least 5.0, Eric, and I came to a conclusion on the paint :hick:

Reply #4
Any ideas about my core support tag that has a bunch of numbers and "Tulsa State fair" stamped on it across the bottom of the tag?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;133902
One day I will beat Mikie with his 3.08 open 7.5" rear.

Newsflash, the Fairmont's not gonna have a 3.73 posi 8.8 either!

*sigh*

At least 5.0, Eric, and I came to a conclusion on the paint :hick:

Ok, after this I'm done, promise. The rear in the fairmont is probaly an 8.8. The kid said he put the posi 3.73 guts in it. Mine is god know what, but it doesn't matter. If the bird ever gets truly restored then I know what is should have. I'm trying to to sound like a dick but the whole thing with the car is that what I'm told isn't always what I see. And since I'm not a " bird god", I don't know EVERYTHING about them. IF the car is a 3.08 open then it's  getting pulled for an 8.8 this spring. IF the car is in fact a posi car it's still getting pulled for an 8.8 in the spring.

Ok, now that I'm done with the mini rant, thanks for the info on the bird. If you need anything else ( pics to dospoogeent, more info...., what ever), just let me know. As of now I'm the only Fila that posts here that I know of. I want everyone else to know about her if you really wana resister her. I'll do what ever I can

Mikey "Fila"

P.S. I'll get the info on the Cougar as soon as I can

Reply #6
Fila, I can help with the VIN code for ya, if you or anyone else wants to look it up and see what all it originally came with.

The VIN is as follows: 1MEBP9237GH629958

Hope this helps ya out a lil bit.
'86 cougar gone to the big yard.
'86&'88 Jeep Comanches.

Reply #7
Yeah, my 20th also came with the 2.73:1 7.5" open rear - puke.

Is the rear-end the main reason you describe the 20th as an "LS"?

I thought that the sway bars etc. indicated some of the other features included in an XR7 package :shrug:
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #8
Quote from: Cougar5.0;133959
Yeah, my 20th also came with the 2.73:1 7.5" open rear - puke.

Is the rear-end the main reason you describe the 20th as an "LS"?

I thought that the sway bars etc. indicated some of the other features included in an XR7 package :shrug:

There are other reasons, mainly in the interior. XR7's got TC-style seats, a full console, and floor shifter. I believe the XR7 was also identified in the VIN, just like Sport, LX and TC Thunderbirds were.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
Vinnie,
No clue man, but I'd love to give a shot at it! Can you post up a pic of it? I'm sure Eric wouldn't mind a look-see either...

Cougar5.0,
You have to ask Eric, I thought all the 20th's were XR7's, but I've only owned 1 Cougar :hick: He told me they were LS's. (Check out CoolCats, Eric's got a whole page on the Anny cars)

Mikey,
We rag on you because you for some reason you just can't grasp your car. It's an appearance option. You got a cool interior and paint  and 10" drums with a swaybar. Most FILA's were 3.8's. Be happy that you have a factory 5.0 car. That being said, it IS an SO. It HAS a 3.08 open. Have you ever looked under cars? The rear ends always tend to look "newer" because they don't get the oil blast from the engine/trans. I tell you what, you REALLY up to knowing what rear-end you have? There's a metal tag on it, take a pic of that and the rear cover. Then we can without a doubt tell you what's in it. Same thing for the Granada. And take it from 10 years of buying cars, when somebody claims it's "3.73 posi" it's usually not. Case in point, the last TC I bought (2 weeks ago) the guy claimed it had a 4.11 Mustang posi rear. I jacked the car up by the pumpkin and spun the wheel, the other wheel went the other way and the driveshaft made 3 1/3 revolutions. "3.27 open" I tell him, worthless, dropped the price and then proceded to tell me what was ACTUALLY wrong with the car. People say the darndest things to sell parts/cars hoping you have no idea what they are talking about. Just let it go man. You want to own the rarest of the rare with all the power and fully loaded, then come up here and check out my old 83TC or Layla. Thunderjet302's car is another example, loaded out the hilt. Be happy you actually got a 5.0 in a FILA and take some axle pics, until then I don't want to read 3 page speculations about mythical monster axles in 79 Fairmont's. Sorry for the rant man but I'd like you a lot more if you weren't so annoying :hick:

Reply #10
I know that Mike. And I have 9" drums, not 10. Joe just got me the Vin for the cougar so I'll post that up. Is there anything else you need to know about the Fila?

Reply #11
Cougar5.0,

From what I have read, the 20th annys were based on the LS with some handling upgrades. All of these came with the 2.73:1 7.5 rear.

My from sway bar is 1 5/16". I never measured the rear sway bar. I have the 10" drum brakes. Mine has been upgraded to a mustang 8.8 3.55:1 rear because I destoryed my 7.5 (converted to ls) drag racing. I have also changed the complete interior (done before I found out only 5,002 of these car were made, was missing the computer for the 2 position power memory drivers seat) and converted to 5 speed.
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

Reply #12
Quote from: 1badcougar;133996
Cougar5.0,

From what I have read, the 20th annys were based on the LS with some handling upgrades. All of these came with the 2.73:1 7.5 rear.

My from sway bar is 1 5/16". I never measured the rear sway bar. I have the 10" drum brakes. Mine has been upgraded to a mustang 8.8 3.55:1 rear because I destoryed my 7.5 (converted to ls) drag racing. I have also changed the complete interior (done before I found out only 5,002 of these car were made, was missing the computer for the 2 position power memory drivers seat) and converted to 5 speed.

so ALL 20th anny's had a 7.5 inch, 2.73:1 ratio NON Traction-Lok, aka open differeential? i was wondeing about my car so i checked the door tag sometime like 6 mo. ago, and i coulda sworn i saw in "M" in axle code, which, according to coolcats is a 2.73 with Trac-Lok. maybe i was looking at the wrong thing.

on a similar note--

Aerobird--ill be home next weekend, so i wanna check my car out and get all the details so i can add mine to the registry for ya!

Mike(84Fila) left out some of his VIN. should I do that too? ive seen that before. is it some security risk to your car if you gie out its VIN? just showin off my ignorance...:D
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #13
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;133967
The rear ends always tend to look "newer" because they don't get the oil blast from the engine/trans.

NOT trying to start anything but i kinda gotta disagree at least in the case of my car (so really ive no basis it could be an anomaly, maybe the original owner never washed the undercarriage in the winter!)--my rear end "looks" as old as the one on my 38 buick. RUST ALL OVER the entire thing. now granted just surface rust and its not biggie, we all know the steel on a rear end is THICk but still there isnt one speck of paint on it :giggle: i WISH it got the oil blast! i dunno i just dont like it all brown. ill probably yank it someday and POR-15 it or something :hick: apparently you can just put that stuff right on existing rust or something, least thats what ive heard

/end hijack
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #14
For the record, It's not that I don't belive that it came with a 7.5" 3.08 open, I'm pressing the fact that might not be the original rearWhen I came into knowing of this car, it was getting new struts, a motor in it and a tranny. It's not beyond the relm of possibilty that it was changed. So from this point on I recongnise the fact that my car HAD a 3.08 open in it. Not what does it have in it NOW?