Skip to main content
Topic: steeringwheel gone crazy!!! help!! (Read 1045 times) previous topic - next topic

steeringwheel gone crazy!!! help!!

when i go 50mph or high my steering wheel starts shaking really bad!!! i am scared to go on the freeway because it feels like my tires are going to fall off. does anybody know what is wrong?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
shaking up and down or left to right?
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #2
it shakes up and down
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #4
Quote from: 88turbo;132901
tire balance.. is there ice or mud or anything caked in your wheels?

I was going to say that... happened to me the other day. Stupid snow.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #5
haha, no, i just cleaned car car and rims not to long ago, but i noticed that 4 little weights on the inside of my rim were missing. could four little weights do this?

Reply #6
Absolutely.

Reply #7
ok, thank you for your help!!

Reply #8
If you can feel it from a specific side, then jack it up and put your hands at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.  Jiggle it and if it moves in and out then you probably have a bad wheel bearing. 

While it's up there visually check everything out just to be safe.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #9
You didn't say that it was pulling to one side or the other, but...
if it pulls, check the tires for knots, in addition to the vibration.
My bet would be that you need to have that wheel/tire rebalanced, since you've noticed that the wheel weights are gone.
Let us know the outcome..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6