Skip to main content
Topic: Plastic sleeves for seatbelts? (Read 3551 times) previous topic - next topic

Plastic sleeves for seatbelts?

Hey all,

The seatbelt buckles (that bolt to the transmission tunnel) on my car have broken and disintegrating plastic sleeves.  I found that Late Model Restoration (the 5.0 Mustang place) has replacements for Mustangs, even come in a lot of factory colors.

Anyone know if they might interchange?  I'll be checking into it sooner or later myself.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #1
I  *think* that they won't work. If I remember correctly Eric tried 'em a while back and found the Mustang ones aren't big enough or something. You have a red interior don't you? That's the worst for having those things break. My 19 year old smoke gray ones are still perfect (when I go out to the car tomorrow they will be cracked just to spite me................ :flame: ).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Some vendor guy is working on new ones. Oh wait, maybe I should go work on that...

:D

Reply #3
I hope this "vendor guy" can come up with the cups that fit around the inner door handle on base models as well.Those are wicked hard to find.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
A tempo/topaz and another Fords will fit?......

IMHO,

Dom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

Reply #5
T-Bird/Cougar belt buckles bolt to the seat frame. Mustang ones bolt to the floor. Dunno 'bout Tempazes...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
They will work. I have them on the convertible now. Last year I was fortunate enough to find a set of 1985-86 Mustang Regatta Blue belts for my car (I have to use Mustang seatbelts...long story) but of course, those sleeves were cracked. My buddy had a pair of brand new ones from LMMR (http://www.50resto.com) and gave them to me to try out. They fit great. The only part that is different is the little tang on the T-Bird-style receptacle (1985ish-88), where it bolts to the seat frame. Mustangs don't have those, but otherwise the actual belt is the same size, and the sleeve is pretty much the same length as well. You have to crank down the seat belt bolt (T-50) really tight to keep it from flopping around. Otherwise it's perfectly usable.

BTW, I also got the matching Regatta Blue interior spray paint from LMMR to paint those covers. Wow, does that paint ever work incredibly well. A bit expensive @ $18 US to have a can shipped to my door...but the results were outstanding. Highly recommended if you have to paint. Mustangs used about 60% of the colors that we had for our interiors so matching should be perfect for most of us.

EDIT: I found the photos I took before of the comparison...

L-R: SN95 belt receptacle; Fox Mustang belt receptacle; Fox Cougar/T-Bird receptacle (c. 1985)
I'm happy to note that the new replacement Fox Mustang covers are longer than the one pictured. They're just about as long as the Cougar/T-Bird style covers.

Reply #7
So I should stop on the TBird ones then? I didn't know you had Mustanger ones in there!

Reply #8
NO! Don't stop...a technically-correct cover for restoration is still needed. In fact I'll be your first customer. :D

For now, though, in a pinch the Mustang sleeves WILL work.

Reply #10
Quote from: EricCoolCats;132085
NO! Don't stop...a technically-correct cover for restoration is still needed. In fact I'll be your first customer. :D

For now, though, in a pinch the Mustang sleeves WILL work.

Great info, Eric!

I think I'll wait for the correct ones to be made.  Its not that big of a deal to me.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #11
if u want a different option that ive seen done before is find a clear plastic type tube than you can slide over the mounting tab of the seat belt.  looks fairly nice i think.

Reply #12
if eric's your first costomer, ill be your second! i might even buy a few sets  just incase, every car i'v seen ever in the junkyard has them messed up...

Reply #13
ill sign up too! the "inside" (side thats right next to my thigh) of the plastic cover on each of mine has a 1 inch by 1 inch piece broken off, so id definitely like to get new ones sometime.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #14
and I will be next..........
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )