Skip to main content
Topic: what's a "TR" tire size? (Read 1860 times) previous topic - next topic

what's a "TR" tire size?

i'm going to get new tires for the cougar, and have aftermarket rims so my tire size isn't factory..... so i looked on my build sheet from ford to get as close as i can and it came with the 220-55-390 tire from the factory....  interested in the special size, i went to the sam's club website and for grins put in the tire size.....  it came back showing it as an 83 cougar "TR tire option"....  maybe it's obvious and i'm just missing it, but for curiousity, i'm wondering if anyone knows what the "TR" stands for.....  thanks

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

what's a "TR" tire size?

Reply #1
TR= "TRX" metric wheels/tires  The wheels were approx 15.3" in diameter.

If you have 15" wheels, a 225/60-15 is about the closest you're going to get.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

what's a "TR" tire size?

Reply #2
thanks chuck..... i have 14's so i used that calculator to get my new size..... i figured the tr was a tire thing and not a cougar one... thanks for the help  :)

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

what's a "TR" tire size?

Reply #3
So what was Ford thinking on teh metric size wheels?  Did any other US manufactor offer a metric size wheel?

what's a "TR" tire size?

Reply #4
They were probably thinking they'd drag America kicking and screaming into the 20th century. When you think about it, metric tires make perfect sense, especially considering that the current measurement system has metric AND SAE numbers in it (the 225 being millimeters, the 15 being inches). Almost all major dimensions of any vehicle built within the last 20 years, from engine displacement (liters) to bolt sizes (millimeters) to fuel pump flow rates (liters per hour) to wheelbase and height (millimeters) are all given in metric measurements. I would go as far as say the only measurement on a car nowadays that isn't metric would be the rim size, and even then it's only diameter and width - offset is given in millimeters. Even the bolt pattern isn't inches any more - it's 5-on-112mm instead of 5-on-4.5", or 4-on-108 instead of 4-on-4.25"

Funny this should come up today - I was watching a rerun of Card Sharks on GSN today and one of the questions was "How many other countries, besides the USA, still uses feet and inches for measurements?". The answer was one. I believe it was Guatemala or something like that. And judging by the prize vehicle the show was 20 years old.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

what's a "TR" tire size?

Reply #5
If you are refering to the tire itself, as "TR 225/60-15" or 225/60TR-15, the "T" is a speed rating. "T" stands for "touring" and are stable to around 118MPH, higher speeds may cause the tire to deform.

"R" simply means radial construction, as opposed to bias-ply.

what's a "TR" tire size?

Reply #6
For some strange reason, spark plugs have metric for a long time.
The only thing metric in the 50 Dodge truck manual are the plugs,
14mm.