Skip to main content
Topic: horsepower help!! (Read 1208 times) previous topic - next topic

horsepower help!!

how much horsepower can my stock connecter rods and piston handle?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

horsepower help!!

Reply #1
From what I see its a stock TC,I don't see any mods?,
What would you like it to do?,
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

horsepower help!!

Reply #2
Quote from: kitzdnm;130130
From what I see its a stock TC,I don't see any mods?,
What would you like it to do?,

That's just a TC hood, I think it's an LX/Sport 5.0 car.

horsepower help!!

Reply #3
I've heard 300 is the magic # that can be DD but the pserson that told me has been wrong before

horsepower help!!

Reply #4
shiznit I was lookin at the hood,$$$ is my answer.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

horsepower help!!

Reply #5
If it is a stock block 5.0 the block will split before the pistons and rod give up. If you stay N/A it will last for a while.
  The blocks can only take about 500 flywheel HP.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

horsepower help!!

Reply #6
i have the stock thunderbird motor, the SO. so my pistons can take 5oohp?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

horsepower help!!

Reply #7
Depends on how you make 300, 400, or 500 hp. The stock pistons are cast and won't hold up to boost or nitors well (ie they'll frag). If you want to run nitros or some sort of forced induction they you need forged pistons, which weren't stock unless you had a 86-92 5.0 HO.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

horsepower help!!

Reply #8
well, my friend bought a eletrical turbo/supercharger, and it added 35hp. can i use one in my car?

horsepower help!!

Reply #9
Quote from: quicksilver;130302
well, my friend bought a eletrical turbo/supercharger, and it added 35hp. can i use one in my car?

Uh yeah.................................................
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

horsepower help!!

Reply #10
haha ok, thanks.
does anybody know if i can run a eletrical turbo with a mustang speed density computer?

horsepower help!!

Reply #11
Quote from: quicksilver;130304
haha ok, thanks.
does anybody know if i can run a eletrical turbo with a mustang speed density computer?

Yep.  You can run it.

horsepower help!!

Reply #12
Quote from: quicksilver;130302

35 at the flywheel or the wheels? Dyno sheet?
It's Gumby's fault.

horsepower help!!

Reply #13
3.5 hp at the FW,30 amp on the battery.Still a joke,maybe 1 day.