Skip to main content
Topic: Heres what happens when you hit black ice (Read 1117 times) previous topic - next topic

Heres what happens when you hit black ice

Heres What Happens when u hit black ice Jan 14 2005 at 6:20am Central Time
http://members.tccoa.com/matts5oh/acc/
Well Thursday night I was coming home and the tire on my 93 5.0 popped so I had to put that tiny py tire on. So I thought well I'll drive the 83 tbird to work tommorrow. I never drive it during the winter, but I had to get to work somehow. So Im driving along on I 80 this morning I get up to the bridge to enter Omaha, suddenly me and a 2003 Ford Ranger 4x4 start to spin out of control see whats happening so I try to steer into the skid the car is fish tailing like crazy i had it under control in a stright line and boom the truck hits my passenger side fender and i hit his drivers side fender.. Traffic comes to a stop.. I get out of the car and ask the guy if he is ok , We were both fine.. Then the cops show up 5 mins later.. He said try to move your vehicles. Well mine wouldnt start,, I shut it down because I was afried something was leaking. So I got it towed to my house. Officer at the accident said that we were each to blame. Well I call my insurance company "State Farm" They asked me what happened i told them how my car went into his lane but he was farther back in traffic Where I made a lane change then saw me in that line and hit the passenger side of my car. He was trying to brake when he saw me in that lane,, but hit me.. So know state farm calls me an hour later and says your at 100% fault, because I lost control first according to what state farm said im like wtf . So now it looks like my insurance will go up ( this is my first accident, and my car doesnt have full coverage so Im stuck paying for all my repairs.. Im glad myself and the other driver are ok but it still makes me mad ( I hate living in the midwest.. Time for me to go back to California.

I took the fender off the car so I could get it into the garage it only took me an hour :D
My car needs the following items now
Header Panel
Right Fender
Headlight housing

Maybe a new bumper cover.

It could of been worse

Im glad Im ok and the car is not totalled Its a pretty clean car for a 83 the paint is perfect no rust or fading anywhere. Car has always been garaged. I normally dont drive it durning winter but I needed to get to work. Wish I had just missed work now.
Heres pics of the car

http://members.tccoa.com/matts5oh/acc/

Re: Heres what happens when you hit black ice

Reply #1
Work will do that to you. This morning I nearly looped my car completely around while coming off a turn at 5 mph. It was icy this morning when I got here before 8am and since I will not be leaving until 8pm, everything will be icy again and it hasn't even snowed here yet. Well other than a little that came down in mid December but that didn't even stay on the ground overnight.
Happy to see the damage seems to be a fairly easy fix and no one was hurt. Like you said it could have been worse, but it is still enough to tick you off.

Reply #2
Sounds like you guys really need winter tires.
Blizzacks have saved me and my bird countless times.
All hail blizzacks

Reply #3
Update

Well It looks like im screwed :(

I just got the accident report says im at Fault for the whole thing. Funny what your told face to face then its different from whats on paper. Officer doesnt even say that the other car lost control even though they did...

This is Messed up :(( All I did was tell the truth and the officer and the other guy lie...

Heres a copy of the accident report Im Vehcile # 1

Accident Report

Well Im 21 Years Old and under my moms insurance. Hope my rates dont go up too much:((

Reply #4
Even though the police fill out the accident report and may say that person X was at fault insurance companies will do whatever they can to make up the cost of the money to be paid out for repair/injuries and sometimes that means finding the person they are covering at fault.  Same thing happened to my wife.  The police report stated that there was a tree obstructing her view of the intersection (tree has since been removed, it was a REAL BAD OBSTRUCTION and caused many other accidents)  The insurance company figured that since there was no money to be made from the tree they raised our premium about 25 dollars a month.  This was after 10 years of accident free driving and always being up to date on her defensive driving course.  I can't complain that much though.  I have 3 cars covered by them (2 with full collision) and I pay $2000 a year in NY.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!