Skip to main content
Topic: bachelors, help please. (Read 2280 times) previous topic - next topic

bachelors, help please.

Okay, I guess you dont have to be a bachelor. But i've been living alone for about 6 months and canned food and hamburger helper are starting to get old already (amazing, I know!) and I dont live close enough to mommie anymore to just go sponge off her when i'm hungry (40min drive).

So what i'm looking for here are some simple recipes for 'real' food, doest need to be anythin fancy just something different. My friends get worried 'cause I never eat so maybe some variety will get me eating and get them off my back! So c'mon tell me your secret recipes, i'll try almost anything once!
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Re: bachelors, help please.

Reply #1
K-D. Breakfast of champions.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
What about Raman Noodles?  Mac and cheese?  Peanut butter and jelly?  I could go on and on.  Oh, you wanted actual recipes...  Hmm...  If it requires more than hot water, noodles, and sauce mix then I'm in the same boat you are.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #3
Here's something I like to make every other day or so:

1 cup white rice + 1/2 cup stir-fry vegetables + 27 beers (optional)

It's very filling, cheap, and it's good for you. Add a little salt for taste (requires 7 more beers).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
Get some of those "flat breads" and some Peporoni and marble cheese.

Cut up some slices of cheese,  Peporoni and wrap them up in the flat bread and Microwave them untill the cheese melts.

Tasty.

I call 'em Chaos Wraps.

Enjoy.
1986 Thunderbird:  5.0L (157,000km) /AOD/ 7.5  Accel Cap/Rotor/8mm wires.
Wanted:
-10 Hole rims or turbines
-Stock K-member or cheap aftermarket
-Cheap  8.8 posi  Rear. 

R.I.P 
'84 Cougar  3.8L 4BBL / AOD/ 8.8 posi  "Runns"
'93 Mustang 2.3L /T-5/ 7.5
'85 Cougar 3.8L /AOD/7.5  "Jolly Green"
'87 Mustang 2.3L / T-5/ 7.5
:burnout:

Reply #5
Chicken Quesadillas

Ingredients:

1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast cubed
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Cheddar cheese soup
1/2 cup Thick & Chunky Salsa or Picante sauce (your preferred spice level)
10 (8") Flour tortillas

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Cook chicken in non stick skillet on med/high till juices evaporate, stir often
Add soup and salsa, heat through
Place tortillas on baking sheets
Top Half of each tortilla with mixture, spread to 1/2" from edge
Moisten edge with water fold over & seal
Bake 5 minutes or until hot

(I know it's not the same as a "real" quesadilla, but still good)

Reply #6
Pizza Caserole

Ingredients:

1 lb. Hamburger
1 lg Onion Chopped
1 (8 oz.) pkg macaroni
1 Jar (16 oz.) Tomato Sauce
4 oz. Pepperoni Slices
1 package (8-10 oz.) Mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Brown hamburger with onion.
Drain off fat, Season if desired
Cook Macaroni
Mix Sauce with macaroni and hamburger
Place in 2 qt cassarole dish alternating layers with pepperoni and cheese
End with cheese on last layer.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees

Reply #7
Zimbabwe Beef

Ingredients:

Beef (Chicken or pork may be substituted)
Plum Tomatos (6+)
1/2 Onion
1/2 can tomato Paste
Curry Powder
Minced Garlic
1/2 teaspoon spoogemin
4-6 Correander seeds
Salt
1 cups of water
Cooking Oil
Rice

Directions:

Finely chop onion and tomatoes.
Cube beef and brown slightly in oil in a pot.
Add onions, tomatos, 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of curry, 1/2 teaspoon of spoogemin, 2-4 correander seeds, a pinch of garlic & salt to taste.
Let boil until meet is cooked.
Adjust seasonings to taste
Add tomato paste and a pinch of sugar if necessary.
Serve over Rice

(Sounds weird, but I halved it for you since the full recipe is huge)

Reply #8
My wife doesn't cook much, so I still eat bachelor food 9 out of 10 times.  I always like taking either emge sausage links or hot dogs cut in half and wrap with either Pillsbury biscuits or crusants.  Bake at about 400 until golden brown.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.  Goes great with a side of Ramen noodles. lol

Reply #9
There is a book out there to make cheap quick meals.  But I forget what it was called.  One of my old Room mates had one.

Pasta/spagetti is realitivly easy.  Boil the noodles with some salt, strain them. (and fry em on a pan with butter if you prefer)  Cook ground beef and then mix in pasta sauce and your pretty much done.

Salads are easy too.  Just buy the pre-cleaned mixed bagged salads and just add anything you want to it.  (I ususally add cheese, cut chicken, and 3 cheese ranch sauce to a premixed bag of caeser salad)

Also a intresting breakfast item is to throw in some cut pinapple when your making scrambled eggs.

Reply #10
what kind of food do you like? italian, mexican, seafood,

yes Nick can cook :raspberry

i'm known for my large batchs of fettucini alfredo and chili
and well seafood... swordfish, mako shark..

oh and you can't forget dessert!!!

beaver!!! :evilgrin: i have a real good recipe for that one:rolleyes: :banana: i know i'm :screwy: oh well.. anyway if you would like any of these recipes i'll be glad to give them to you..

Nick
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #11
You have enough money to live on your own working at Wal-Mart?  I'm impressed.  Now I shall go consume Ramen Noodles, you s.

Reply #12
BUY A GRILL! cook with fire. anything grilled is good. from squirrel meat to steak. cook with fire and smug in steak sauce.

rice stuff:

make a couple servings of rice, could be spanish or white (i like spanish) then mix that with a third to half a pack of baccon, and 2 or 3 eggs. eggs must be scrambled first and mixed into the batch along with the baccon that must be chopped up after you fry it.

chicken parm is easy to, better yet chicken nugget parm:

get a frier warmed up, or use a large pot and fill it with  a entire bottle of vegie oil, about 2 qts or so. buy the time you are done with all the chicken this should be hot enough.

take chicken brests shave and cut all the fat off of them, then you cut them into strips about 2" wide (with chicken brest long ways from left to right).

get 2 eggs and crack em open into a large bowle and pour about 3 cups of milk into it, mix it well, this will be the solution to dip the chicken strips into.

then get out a big plate or somthing and get some pancake pre mixed powder. (the kind thats just add watter and no berries or choclate chips lol) it has to be just add water becaus it works better. pour that onto a plate or in a large bowl.

you take the chicken strips about 5 at a time, and soak them into the egg and milk soulution. then take them into the pancake mix and cover them compleatly then put the covered chicken strips into a nother plate. to wate for the rest of them to be covered.

after all are covered take one strip and drop it into the "frier" and see if it sizzles. if it does its hot enough to work and you can put a few more in.

take them a few at a time and drop them into the frier. stir them ocasionaly so they fry compleatly and are a dark golden brown.

^they are wicked chicken nuggets^

to make em parm,  after their all fried up, put em onto a cookie sheat cover em in tomato sauce and parm cheeze pieces, then bake in the oven untill the sauce is warmed and the cheeze is melted.

you can do different variations of that even one with a whole brest and less oil in a larger wider pan to fri it. im big on chicken parm.

or finaly, you could always date somebody that likes cooking

Reply #13
Thanks for all the replies! gonna have to try some of those, now I wish I hadnt spent most of my food money on booze friday night :slap: but its all good :grinno: went to good use...
Quote from: Ifixyawata
You have enough money to live on your own working at Wal-Mart?  I'm impressed.  Now I shall go consume Ramen Noodles, you s.
Well I wouldnt call it living so much but more of an existance!
Quote from: cougarcragar
Here's something I like to make every other day or so:
1 cup white rice + 1/2 cup stir-fry vegetables + 27 beers (optional)
It's very filling, cheap, and it's good for you. Add a little salt for taste (requires 7 more beers).
DEFINATELY gonna have to try that one!
Quote from: Manson
BUY A GRILL! cook with fire. anything grilled is good. from squirrel meat to steak. cook with fire and smug in steak sauce.
or finaly, you could always date somebody that likes cooking.
I actually have a grill outside, it came with the place! the land lord claims it still works but I dont think it would work too well with the -30 we've had all week :hick: and I thought about finding a  :ies:  who likes to cook but I think take-out would be cheaper!
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #14
Basic recipe, feel free to modify:  One can beans (any kind, I prefer Trappey's pinto beans), 1/2 can of water, 1/3 cup rice.  Put it in a pan, cover it, bring it to a boil, turn heat to lowest, simmer 20 minutes, eat.  I add some chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, & a chunk of pig meat or sausage before cooking.  Sprinkle in some red pepper if you like it hot, or Tony's Creole Seasoning (too salty for me).  If you use brown rice, simmer it for 30-40 min.  In a big hurry, use instant rice & simmer 5 min.