Topic: crossmember? (Read 3542 times) previous topic - next topic

crossmember?

hey do 1988 lx 5.0 birds have double crossmembers? need to know for an h-pipe

Re: crossmember?

Reply #1
Sí, I tiene uno.

Reply #2
In my experience, most every single Bird/Cat from 1983 to 1988 had a double hump.  Plus an '88 5.0 car should have factory "duals" anyway.  In other words, you can just stick an H-pipe directly in where the factory 2-1-2 Y-pipe is.  Only other thing that needs to change is Manifolds-->Headers.

Reply #3
Well they "sorta" had factory duals.  I have seen some that had the double hump and some that didn't, just have to check. :dunno:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
all 3 of my 88s 2 of which with aod 5.0 have had the double hump one.

Reply #5
It's probably whichever one they had on hand at the time got put on, especially '88, being as there was a totally different car in '89.  :dunno:  :grinno:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
hmmm, well i wouldn't know what the hell to look for, but this is how my exhaust is currently set up, 2 pre cats, the pre cat on the right runs into the precat on the left, and from the precat on the left 1 pipe comes out and back into a ler mounted midway of the car and then 1 straight pipe all the way back, so its in no way dualed back, its super restrictive, let me know thanks

ok i just saw that pic that was posted, yes, mine is almost like that but no dual pipes, it's just a single after the 3rd cat, goes into a ler, and then a single out all teh way back, but the guys is selling an h-pipe off a fox body stang, and he needs to know if it's a single or double crossmember, i could take a pic with my phone and post it a lil later, but i was hoping to pick it up today, if anyone could help thanks

Reply #7
Double hump crossmember :ies:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #8
Double or Simple, its the same Cross-member.... The diff is on the Pipe Holder....

Reply #9
I believe there are some slight differences in the crossmembers themselves.  One of my cars did indeed have a single hump crossmember.  Even though the car has single exhaust now, though, it should fit duals fine.  And, even on my '85, when no car had the option for dual exhaust, I had a double bushing thing for the H-pipe.

Reply #10
Yes, on the single hump, the left side is a little flatter than on the double. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #11
ok but either way a mustang fox body h-pipe should fit for a custom exhaust application no problem right? i already have some mustang headers too, thanks guys

Reply #12
Quote from: tbird96h
ok but either way a mustang fox body h-pipe should fit for a custom exhaust application no problem right? i already have some mustang headers too, thanks guys

Yes. :grinno:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #13
lol, don't confuse me, so it's yes?  :slap:  :flip:

Reply #14
Yes, the h-pipe will fit..lol :ies:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3