Skip to main content
Topic: The New Daily (Read 2967 times) previous topic - next topic

The New Daily

I am selling my 2003 Ford Escape to my brother. So over New Years I bought a 1998 GMC Sonoma from my Cousin in Dallas, Texas. Its an extended cab, stepside, factory lowered, allow wheels, spray in bedliner, 4.3L V6, 5-speed. The wheels on this thing are insane, factory alloys 16x9. I had to paint a brand new bumper, my cousing clipped someone and ripped the old one off and ran it over. These pics are when I was bored waiting for the paint to dry.

The body is in good shape, the bed sides have some sun fading and alittle wear and tear. As I said in the other thread, I slid into the Passenger side rear corner and pushed in the plastic and bent the rollpan. Its a really nice clean truck though, and I really like it. I wont have any new pics until the snow lets up. 6 hours and 6 inches, so I dont know when I'll get the truck with the front bumper on.

I need ideas for a Personalized Plate. I was thinking "GO LOW". What do you guys think of this thing? I know its a Chevy. I like all manufacturers.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

The New Daily

Reply #2
+1 to lowering it

and, if you can.. look for a S-10 extreme kit for it. front air dam and all that stuff.

The New Daily

Reply #3
Ive thought of lowering it and putting a the Xtreme kit on it. Since I put that front cover on, I think it looks to clean to put a GFX kit on it, I dont know yet. Since I work at the Body Shop I get a discount on Chevy parts now. I think I might try to lower it and maybe get some 17s for it, and just keep the others as spares. Ive looked into lowering kits, but just standing next to this thing(me being 6'3'') I feel like a giant. Im just workin on getting the small stuff fixed, it has dog hair in the carpet so bad that I gotta pull it out and powerwash it(no biggie). I'll keep updates on it. Im thinking about just blacking it all out, I found some "blacked out" tailights on evilbay and I'll retint the windows. And a CAI kit. Dunno about exhaust though. The Cougar comes first on mods, so we'll see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

The New Daily

Reply #4
first of all you have a good platform to work with.  as far as the extreme kit, imo that shiznits ugly.  no offence meant.  i'd go with a stock bumper, get a roll pan that deletes the rear bumper.  i know its fleetsided but i've seen some without the bed steps and that shiznit looks badass.  now about lowering it... your either ganna go all the way, or just go "oh well its low enough".  b/c mini truckin is about goin as low as possible.  you need to get airbags to drop the frame to the ground.... and even when the frame is on the ground the body will still sit off the ground which calls for a body drop.  basically you cut the floor out, drop the body enough to be flush with the bottom of the frame rails, thus the body is sitting on the ground.  thats where the sweet spot is.  this involves modding the entire truck.  and a 4 link setup for best results in the rear.  i guess im trying to push my ideas on you.  here, i'll let you see what can be done, whats being done, and what needs (hasnt been) to be done.  http://www.minitruckinweb.com is the website fo the magazine, and if you got to the supermarket or walmart you WILL find this mag.  its mini truckin.  the site shows all the featured cover trucks, and in the mag they show pics of show coverage in every issue.  thats where your ganna see all the ideas you could ever deam of.  a litte of this a little of that.  if i were you, i'd AT LEAST make it an s10 ss clone.  its REALLY REALLY REALLY clean for stock.  good luck, and be sure to beat the hell out of it since its a beater daily before you start modding it.  b/c belive me, if you make it a true mini... damaging the truck wont matter b/c you'll end up fixing it anyway when you do the body work.

The New Daily

Reply #5
I like those S-10's like that. Would have looked for one for a daily driver but liked the thought of a 2.3T Ranger so that's what I'm doing. Are you sure those are 9" wide wheels? They look just like the early 90's camaro 16s with different center caps. Hey, when are you going to come get that bumper cover so I can see this thing in person?
GT40p 5.0 w/ vortech @ 9.5psi, 400rwhp

The New Daily

Reply #6
Yes, they are in fact 9'' wide, i had to remeasure to make sure, because i sat there with my mouth agape at them. Well, Im tryin to get this whole accident thing behind me, so I'll have to report it. Should be up there(weather permitting) next weekend, or the weekend after that. I have the MO sitting right here. We just got 6 inches of snow, so I dont know how far this will make it, but I just got a set of tire chains for free.

As far a Mods: I HIGHLY doubt I'll ever put a GFX kit on it, and I love the ride height. I'll get a pic of me standing next to it, its a low riding mofookie. If I did anything suspension wise it would be just making it ride alittle smoother. I love the rear "bumper". The "rollpan" or whatever you wanna call it since its stock adds alot to it I think. I wouldnt be able to put the regular box roll pan on, with the way the steps on the rear extend out.

As far as body mods, Im just going to fix the clear coat and the nicks on the bedsides, and the obvious dent in the 3rd door. I dont know what Im going to do as far as Badging goes. There are no emblems on this truck, and I like that. Im thinking of putting a GMC emblem on the tailgate though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The New Daily

Reply #7
Yeah, we got 6" here too. Glad I got my 4wd back. The roads up here that are plowed are not bad at all.
GT40p 5.0 w/ vortech @ 9.5psi, 400rwhp

The New Daily

Reply #8
ah, if i were to get a mini truck, i wouldnt be able to stop myself from doing stuff like in the link i put down.  just talkin about it made me go out and buy the mag.  dirt bikes are in the middle of my soul, lowered minitrucks is right next to that, and v8 good HANDLING cars are next to that (the bird) and then graffiti is wrapped around that.

The New Daily

Reply #9
Quote from: 86elan;124967
Yeah, we got 6" here too.
  The funny thing was, I was inside most of the day today and didn't even notice how much snow we got, then I had to go out in it.  The cougar was a bit cold blooded and didn't want to go out in it either.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

The New Daily

Reply #10
I might just have to drive the Escape up to Nebraska then, its 4wd. So you might get to see the truck might not.

As far as mods go, Im a car guy, I like trucks, but muscle cars are my blood. And v8s are my true love. If I had the money by God this thing would have an LS1 in it at least. I cant get over how good it looks as is, and maybe later on after I finish the Cougar it will get some healthy mods. I want my Cougar done more than anything, and then my 53 Chevy comes next, then my dads 70 Chevelle. I have a carbed 327 out of my Uncles '65 Vette sittin around, sounds like a good start:evilgrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The New Daily

Reply #11
nice truck, i seen in ur sig ur selling a s-10 is it ok shape? maunal or auto? rotted? and how far are u from rhode island im looking for a prject vechical to keep me busy
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

The New Daily

Reply #12
Quote from: cougrrr302;124962
Yes, they are in fact 9'' wide, i had to remeasure to make sure, because i sat there with my mouth agape at them.

If they measure 9" to the outside of the wheel, they are 8" wide.  If they are actually 9" wide wheels they would measure 10" wide overall....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The New Daily

Reply #13
The Wheel as in Rim is 9" wide, the tires are 10". I measured both countless times, because I could not stop gawking at them wondering how big they were.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The New Daily

Reply #14
Again....if the wheel (yes 'rim" as everyone calls them these days)
measures 9" from lip to lip...it is technically a 8" wide wheel.....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon