Skip to main content
Topic: Bang! Wonga-wonga-wonga...k-kr-krack! Rattle-rattle. (Read 2720 times) previous topic - next topic

Bang! Wonga-wonga-wonga...k-kr-krack! Rattle-rattle.

Can anyone name that sound?  That's your rear end breaking at 70 mph, whining really bad, then finally ceasing to function as anything other than a mega-noisemaker.

After 30k miles with a whiny rear end it took the final dump on me today.  At about 6:50 a.m. in the rain, in the dark, as I said, at 70 mph.  I immediately slowed and pulled off to the side, fearing an axle would slide out.  Made a couple phone calls, Eric was one, found out that the car will probably make it home, just sound like a Sherman Tank doing so.  Well, I got off of the freeway (thank you) and a couple miles into a residential neighbor hood and when I pulled away from the light, it sounded like a grinding gearbox, times ten, though.  Eventually I got it towed home and rolled it into a parking space.  It will probably remain there until the weather's nicer. 

So now I've got to find out why my oil and coolant are mixing on the Grand Marquis, hopefully I just screwed up the intake gasket, not enough sealant on the coolant crossovers or something.  Anyway, just thought I would share an interesting story.

PS - Sorry if you read this once already over at Cougarnuts.

Re: Bang! Wonga-wonga-wonga...k-kr-krack! Rattle-rattle.

Reply #1
No luck with cars lately at all, huh Brian?

Uh, if you lived closer, I'd give you one of the rears I have in the garage, but I'm not thinking that does you much good right now...

Reply #2
If I had a car that'd make it that far I'm sure that gas money driving there and back is cheaper than an 8.8" around here.

Reply #3
Ok, some good news.  I'm able to score a mustang 8.8 for $50.  I think it has 3.27, T-L and quad shocks.  In any case, is there a way to make it so it's as wide as my current rear?  Maybe change over the axles, backing plates, drums?

According to coolcats:
1985.5-88 7.5" & 8.8" Cougar/T-Bird     interchanges with     1986-93 7.5" & 8.8" Mustang

Reply #4
Junkyard find?

You know it's an off day when Crystal offers ya a rear end and ya have no joke response.. :p

Reply #5
No rear end *ahem* ( :giggle: ) even Crystal's (though 'tis a fine specimen, especially with a red dress draped over it) is worth a 1200 mile trip. We discussed it and I decided it's just too far to drive.  I will get another chance at that rear end over the summer though, I think I may go to Boston and pay a visit.  :dunce:

The rear is under my friend's '85 Capri that's going to the junkyard soon.

Reply #6
Not sure I follow the first line, except maybe to guess that you missed the humorous angle. :p

Reply #7
Made it less unintelligible.  Still nonsense, though.

Reply #8
Now that's more like it. :p

(deleting the second post, since now it no longer makes much sense)

(but now that makes this the second post, and AHHHH brain-cramp)