Skip to main content
Topic: Holes in my heads... (Read 1721 times) previous topic - next topic

Holes in my heads...

Ok, today I spent the better part of an hours looking for an exhaust leak on the bird'. I tightned every bolt, check every place pipe goes to next pipe, so on. It turns out I have a small hole, about say 1/2", in both of my heads? Exhaust comes out, sounds like shiznit. If you and a freind both hold bolts over the holes, it sound quite. Now here is my question. WTF? Are these smog peices that need coverd up or am I missing someting?

Holes in my heads...

Reply #1
yeah, it's smog stuff. there's a hollow bolt that threads in 'em then it runs somewhere. i forget where. if you don't have the smog  on yours, i guess just put some short bolts in 'em.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Holes in my heads...

Reply #2
are you talking about on the back of the heads?  if so there should of been a "smog rail"  put it back on and plug the hole in the tube with something.  this is what I did on my 79 cougar.  I had the same problem...

Holes in my heads...

Reply #3
I plugged mine and ditched all of the smog equipment.I can't remember what size bolts i used.Someone will chime in with the actual size.Lowe's had them for less than a buck.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Holes in my heads...

Reply #4
Hole on Your heads!!!, what a title:hick: .

With a title like that I guessed a big issue on Your engine head, like a drilled holes for Idontknowwhatithat, but agree with all posted before Me, just put a plugs on that ****!n threaded holes, and that's it!!!...

Last year when I rebuilted My 3.8 engine, I removed all of these ...

Have a nice Day,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

Holes in my heads...

Reply #5
take a couple of old spark plugs and break the porcelin off and screw them in.Done a bunch that way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Holes in my heads...

Reply #6
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;123730
take a couple of old spark plugs and break the porcelin off and screw them in.Done a bunch that way.

oh really???????????
where the frig were you when i was looking for a bolt just the right size to fit that stinking hole for my wifes 351?

good  idea,,

Holes in my heads...

Reply #7
Quote from: jcassity;123735
oh really???????????
where the frig were you when i was looking for a bolt just the right size to fit that stinking hole for my wifes 351?

good  idea,,

Yup :hick:  (if they wont fit clean the carbon out of the holes) :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Holes in my heads...

Reply #8
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;123730

No shiznit, that will work? I'll try it later when I get home from work.

Holes in my heads...

Reply #9
hmm, i ganna have to look for these holes... i get an exhaust smell coming in the A/c-Heater vents just under the cowl of the hood.  this could be the problem.  although the stock headers might not be in great shape.

another lil tidbit some of you might know about the porcilin in sparkplugs.  ever get mad at someone... like extremely FURIOUS.  just break the porcilin out of some spark plugs and throw em at an enemy's widshield.  spider web the sob like crazy.

Holes in my heads...

Reply #10
Quote from: Autocat;123774
another lil tidbit some of you might know about the porcilin in sparkplugs.  ever get mad at someone... like extremely FURIOUS.  just break the porcilin out of some spark plugs and throw em at an enemy's widshield.  spider web the sob like crazy.

I beter not catch you doing that to anyone :beatyoass:

Holes in my heads...

Reply #11
Good ole smog junk. What a waste of material. We still have a hole in the ozone. So really wtf is the point of that sht.
Oh yeah i just cut off the tubes that were supposed to go to the smog pump(off the back of the heads) and smashed them shut and then welded them closed. Or, they probably make little plugs(like frost plugs)that would press in them also.
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

Holes in my heads...

Reply #12
Used the spark plug idea. worked like a charm. Kinda scared me, it's  near silent till you romp on the gas.

Holes in my heads...

Reply #13
" near silent" lol what exhaust do you have? i seem to remember pics of a stock mustang h-pipe? what s? i also remembered the car having open headers or something :hick:  and i dont know if you put on the exhaust....?
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Holes in my heads...

Reply #14
Ok, so far it's facotry manifolds, a gutted Y pipe, 2 1/4" from there to a autozone glasspack, then a 2 1/4" tail that exits under my rear bumper. From the motor it's quiet but from behind at idle, it has a bit of a rumble from it. I'm saying quiet as I drove it about 3 weeks with open headers.