Skip to main content
Topic: long tube headers (Read 1482 times) previous topic - next topic

long tube headers

will long tubed headers fit on a 88 tbird?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

long tube headers

Reply #1
AOD?

dont think so. wont go around the transmission
1986 Cougar LS

long tube headers

Reply #2
I believe MAC makes LTs for AODs. Not sure if they will clear your motor mounts though.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

long tube headers

Reply #3
The Mac long tubes will supposedly clear.  They make a set that is a 1 5/8" primary with a 2 1/2" collector.  My Hookers have the same primary and collector size, which is what I feel is optimal for my setup, however Hooker stopped making the ones I have in 2000.  When it comes time for a new exhaust ( very soon, I've grown tired of waking up the neighborhood ) I plan on some ceramic coated Macs, a custom X-pipe, and some good flowing yet QUIET lers.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

long tube headers

Reply #4
flowtechs will work also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

long tube headers

Reply #5
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;123284
flowtechs will work also.

Bro what’s your secret I tried every with way and angle and they weren’t even close. Actually they were summit headers but I’m 99% sure they are flowtechs. Summit uses flowtech headers. So I used FRPP shortys which still gave me D/S motor mount problems. 

Though I think now since I bought chuck W motor mounts of trying again since last time I couldn’t even get them half way in past the stock mounts.

long tube headers

Reply #6
I have the flowtech f/l headers on my car...they were a biotch to install.  I had to make an indentation in the cyl. #5 primary tube because it interfered with the stock upper motor mount plate.  I also had a problem with the primary tube that loops around the steering shaft, the "o-ring" gasket  was not milled straight and it angled the tube directly against the shaft, making it very difficult to turn the car.  I ended up welding a new "o-ring" around the gasket  and filing(e-gads!) it down in the opposite direction, now it fits fine.

However, they flowtech headers seem to hit everything, namely the K-member...it won't do any damage to the k-member, but it is annoying as hell.  I can't wait to make the switch to Mac.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

long tube headers

Reply #7
I had a set of Macs in my '88 Cougar for about 15 minutes (back in 1998). They fit fine around the AOD except they hit the column shift linkage and kept knocking it into neutral when I floored it. If the car had been floor shift they probably would have fit fine though...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

long tube headers

Reply #8
I had a set of Headman Long tubes on my '83, well drivers side anyhow it bolted up nice and easy except for the shift linkage for the column shift was in the way. I didn't try the passenger side one since i couldn't get the drivers side to fit.

long tube headers

Reply #9
I'll just keep my BBk shorties.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

long tube headers

Reply #10
Quote from: Innes;123312
Bro what’s your secret I tried every with way and angle and they weren’t even close. Actually they were summit headers but I’m 99% sure they are flowtechs. Summit uses flowtech headers. So I used FRPP shortys which still gave me D/S motor mount problems. 

Though I think now since I bought chuck W motor mounts of trying again since last time I couldn’t even get them half way in past the stock mounts.

knotched the motor mount plate for the 1st tubes, moved the colum shift pivot about 1" forward. That was it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication