Skip to main content
Topic: Park & !st! Valve Body? (Read 4614 times) previous topic - next topic

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #30
Just go back step by step till you find someting you messed up. We'll do our best to help you but you have to be willing to listen to us.

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #31
Let me figure this out...

you did mention column shift but change to floor shift. Is that correct?

If that is correct then please tell us shift lever position at the trans?

Shift lever point up = column shift.
Shift lever pointing down = floor shift.

All you need to do is remove trans pan, loosen shift lever 7/8 nut [inside trans] and rotate shift lever 180 degrees.

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #32
Quote from: Chuck W;123876
Like I said....go back to the beginning....

How certain are you that you got it all reinstalled correctly?

Sounds like you're avoiding the obvious painful truth that you screwed up something and have to drop the pan again....

No doubt i screwed something you. I'll admit that with no problem, BUT WHAT!?

Quote from: KwikFord;123925
Let me figure this out...

you did mention column shift but change to floor shift. Is that correct?

If that is correct then please tell us shift lever position at the trans?

Shift lever point up = column shift.
Shift lever pointing down = floor shift.

All you need to do is remove trans pan, loosen shift lever 7/8 nut [inside trans] and rotate shift lever 180 degrees.

DONE!

i guess ill do it all over again next saturday.
1986 Cougar LS

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #33
Ok, for now atleast, can you try the column shiznit back the way you had it. If it worked before, then you messed up somewhere in the middle. I would go back to. If it works, then it's either in the adjustment or fitting of parts. Re check everything, even if you already checked it. If you could pictures would be nice. i'm willing to bet the fix to this is something simply overlooked. Some small detail that will fudge up the hole thing

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #34
Um...it's gotta stay column shift right now. It's one or the other (column or floor shift), but not both.

This is second-to-last resort. Get the entire car up on jackstands. Crawl underneath and have someone in the car go through the gears. Watch the shift lever on the trans. It should smoothly row through all gears. You can even manually go through them by pushing on the arm, if you want. If the person in the car cannot get low gear then the shift cable needs adjusted.

Did you check to see if fluid is pumping?

At this point...if you knew the trans was good before doing the lever flip...it might be worth it to have a trans shop look at it. They work on these things all day. Might be money well spent...

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #35
Quote from: EricCoolCats;123966
Um...it's gotta stay column shift right now. It's one or the other (column or floor shift), but not both.

This is second-to-last resort. Get the entire car up on jackstands. Crawl underneath and have someone in the car go through the gears. Watch the shift lever on the trans. It should smoothly row through all gears. You can even manually go through them by pushing on the arm, if you want. If the person in the car cannot get low gear then the shift cable needs adjusted.

At this point...if you knew the trans was good before doing the lever flip...it might be worth it to have a trans shop look at it. They work on these things all day. Might be money well spent...

ITS STAYING FLOOR SHIFTED! i cut the hole in the floor and the carpet every thing to specs for floor im not going back!
1986 Cougar LS

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #36
Quote from: EricCoolCats;123966

IT'S STAYING A FLOOR SHIFTER! I CUT A HOLE IN THE FLOOR AND CARPET SO ITS STAYING!

got to check if its pumping.  i can run it though the gears and i know what gear it is in when im in the car. so indicator is on going to adjust it again but with one click back on the stands tires spin forward.

how much, round about am i looking at to get a tranny but in. How hard is it?
1986 Cougar LS

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #38
Well I got an AOD for $150 before, and it's not that hard to put in. Just take your time and make sure you un-hook everything(tranny cooler lines, speedo cable/gear, kickdown cable....) then it's just taking it out, lining everything up then putting it back.

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #39
i can get an SC for 150 but i need 150
1986 Cougar LS

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #40
snag the one from the sport for now dillon. that should tide ya over..

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #41
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;124074
snag the one from the sport for now dillon. that should tide ya over..

it has 177000 miles on it and one of the sensors is disconnected( for how long i dont know) i dont know if it even has all the gears. Would be the cheapest way out if it was good but i real dont know if i want to take that big of a chance. im saving for the SC tranny and going to see if my dad can call in a favor to get it put in cheap. then i have to tow the car.

will an 87 f-150 pull my car on a trailer? full car not the two wheel? cheaper than having a tow truck do it. if the 150 wont do it ill  get the 3/4 ton chevy out.
1986 Cougar LS

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #42
Christ, my Crown Vic will pull my car. I hope the truck would.

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #43
It's pumpin'!

now what! Think im just going to swap it.

was revin it up at the TB and it would not rev past 2200-2500. but then it would rev up to 3200 or so every 3 or 4 times i did it. What the hell is going on?
1986 Cougar LS

Park & !st! Valve Body?

Reply #44
is there an over fill hole on the AOD? the guy i had but the gasket on said there was but it doesnt make sense to me.
1986 Cougar LS