Skip to main content
Topic: What color? (Read 3244 times) previous topic - next topic

What color?

I'm thinking of getting my car painted, I have some extra money (yay 4 scholarships!) and Maaco is having that half off sale ($250 for their normally $500 Presidential job). Now before you go saying Maaco sucks, I've heard mixed results and have determined that it generally depends on the shop and how the guys work, and not all Maacos are the same.

now, having said that, what color should I paint my car should I completely decide on doing this? I know it's my decision and my car, I just want some input.

I want a dark color. so obviously there's the old jet black choice. then I was thinking of a deep blue, kinduva midnight blue. Also, I was kinda thinking of getting it a nice blue, not too dark (can't remember who it is, someone has a nice blue Tbird with a custom gauge panel, 5.0 HO, etc. someone will know who I'm talking about, but that's a nice blue), and putting some boss stripes on it. just a thought.

so, any ideas?

Re: What color?

Reply #1
i was going to paint my car pretty much the same as hawks...probably the same one your talking about.
hawks cardomain
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #2
yeah thats it.
I still have a bunch of stuff I want to do, like get the HO finished and in there, new rear end, paintjob, fix up the interior, dash like hawks, so I dunno. I also kinda want to do the headlight thing like cougars_2_go, i dunno wtf I'm gonna do...

Reply #3
I have heard that they charge you extra for everything that they do like tape everything off, and stupid little things like that
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
yeah probably do.

Thinkin about it, I think I'm going to go ahead and finish my engine and get that in there, cuz I'm tired of being slow :p that, and the dumb engine is using oil like crazy and sometimes doesn't idle for shiznit. grr then again my car does look like shiznit...decisions decisions....

then my gf wants me to pay off my credit card n stuff..it's only $900 of debt :p

Reply #5
As for MAACO, it does depend on the shop... my car's a maaco job http://www.ferdbird.com/87sport/

If you're only $900 in debt and can get out, I would if I were you. That way, 1. You're out of debt, and 2. if anything happens, you have your credit card to fall back on. That's what I'd shoot for (and engine repair if it's really that bad...)

Reply #6
I think that it would be better to go off and beat newer mustangs in a 20+ year old car. Then the next time the see the cat head they have alittle respect. It also makes for a good sleeper. I cant wait till be rebuild my Dad's station wagon engine  :evilgrin:
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack
Then the next time the see the cat head they have alittle respect.

It's a bird :p and it's younger than I am and I'm only 18 (19 in feb)

Reply #8
I would pay off the credit card and do some mods on the car first before paint, you will enjoy having the cards paid off too (I had mine paid off all last week for the first time. Till my insurance came up....) unless you have rust issues or the car is in MORE than three colours I wouldnt worry about it.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #9
Only 18 and in debt already. I would pay the debt off as soon as possible becasue it may only be $900 now but eventually it will become much more. After that get a check card.

Reply #10
I have a check card, came with the free checking account :D and I only have one credit card and the limit is 1k

Reply #11
As far as MAACO goes, just do your homework on the shop, I've seen em both ways, and use the better paint. The prep work that goes in at the shop in Nashville is just as good as any I've seen coming out of a shop that size, and their paint jobs are every bit as good if not better than new. Not saying they're show quality, but for a daily driver, they are fine. Also keep in mind that if you are as picky as I am, you can do most of the stripping and prep work yourself, which will also save you a lot of labor bill. Also make sure that you communicate with the shop about what you want, or they might still throw a paint to sell job on her.

Reply #12
Quote from: zpyro
It's a bird :p and it's younger than I am and I'm only 18 (19 in feb)

I am actually 17 till march
also just cause you bird dosent have a cat head dont mean that it cant be fixed  :giggle:
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #13
well I've pretty much decided that I'd have fun with a few more horses than a shiny paintjob, so I'm going to get the engine done so I can get it in there. I was first looking for stock E7 heads cuz I've been porting the ones that came with the engine, and was going to get a valve job for them, but didn't want the engine to wait for the heads. then someone told me that they'd be fine the way they are, all I need to do is lap the valves, probably get new valve springs (I'm going to use either an e-cam or b-cam, my uncle has an e-cam lyin around), throw the bitch together and take a weekend off to put it all together.

Reply #14
Smart move, better ugly and running than pretty and sitting.  Im waiting til my engine work is done before I start in on the paint.  You never know you could easily scratch something taking a motor in and out, despite your best efforts not to.  I have seen maaco jobs that look great.  They got that standard amount of orange peel, but for the money it's a good deal.  Besides just because you pay more somewhere else doesn't make it better. Jason.