Skip to main content
Topic: 1989 Mark VII LSC computer (Read 1837 times) previous topic - next topic

1989 Mark VII LSC computer

So I picked up a 1989 Mark VII LSC HO computer from the wreakers today for $40. I'm hopping it works fine with my GT-40 iron headed 5.0 HO I'm dropping in my car in March. Since no one (as far as I know) has actually used a HO SD computer from a Mark VII in a Bird or Cougar I'm going to be the ginny pig. If you have let me know, if not we're all going to see if this works or not. I hope it does:grinno:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
It works just fine. I ran one before I converted to Mass Air.

Reply #2
I ran a Mark VII computer for a while until I got the Mustang computer.From what I've learned,the Mark VII computer has a speed limiter,the Mustang's does not.The Mark VII computer worked great though.it's the same thing as a Mustang Speed density computer except for the speed limiter.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
I have one waiting for the TC.
One 88

Reply #4
I have a 5 speed Mustang computer,and two Mark VII computers.I grab that stuff every chance I get.You never know when it'll come in handy.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
It works just fine. I ran one before I converted to Mass Air.

I'm not the first:grinno: . Oh well I'l be the first to run a Mark VII SD computer and GT-40 heads:cool: .

I
ran a Mark VII computer for a while until I got the Mustang computer.From what I've learned,the Mark VII computer has a speed limiter,the Mustang's does not.The Mark VII computer worked great though.it's the same thing as a Mustang Speed density computer except for the speed limiter.

The speed limiter shouldn't be a problem. I doubt I'll run over 110 mph on the street. The only time I'd approach that would be at the strip and I doubt with a stock HO and GT-40 iron heads that I will be going over 110 in the quarter.:grinno:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Post an update on the performance with the GT40 heads and Mark VII computer when you get it all going.Very interested.

Reply #7
You will all find out in about two months. I expect to have the swap done by the middle to end of March. Besides the heads I'm going to do this in stages. After breaking it in and running it at the track I'm going to start some other modifications. First will be a GT-40 style intake (GT-40 Explorer, or Cobra which ever one I can get the easiest) and 65mm TB, then 1&5/8" headers and 2.5 duals. I want to do it in stages to see how much these common mods add to the performance of a 5.0 HO. I'm guessing that the Mark VII computer should be able to handle all this stuff fine. The stock T-bird/Cougar 5.0 computer takes the HO upper, headers, 2.25 duals, and E7 heads fine so I don't see why the Mark VII wouldn't take upgrades as well.

Reply #8
I have ported E-7 heads,2 1/2 inch exhaust,1 5/8 shorties (BBK),Explorer intake,and the Mustang computer.Does great.You should have no problems.Good luck.

Reply #9
Just hope your trans is in good shape. Thats what happened to me. I put all the time and money into it then got to drive it for 2 days. Blew out drive and over drive. But when it did run it would pull the front suspention up so hard that it would wonder all over the road under WOT.

Reply #10
My Bird runs really strong.It seems to love the higher rpms,especially after IO installed the Explorer intake.

Reply #11
Yeah, when I put the Cobra intake on mine, it really pulled in the upper rpms. Made it tons of fun to drive around in D all the time. All the roads around me are 50mph limits ;)

I have the 1 5/8 headers and 2.5 catback (already have 2.5 h-pipe on there) ready to put on it when I get the car back in good running condition.

Reply #12
Quote from: slamedcat;122998
Just hope your trans is in good shape. Thats what happened to me. I put all the time and money into it then got to drive it for 2 days. Blew out drive and over drive. But when it did run it would pull the front suspention up so hard that it would wonder all over the road under WOT.

Trans is ok it shifts good. Actually the previous owner had the torque converter go out at 98,000 miles so they replaced that and the trans has been fine since then (now it's got 125,000 on it). I'm not pr0ne to smash the gas pedal all the time but I am going to be taking it easy so I don't blow up the trans. I haven't done any 1-D-1 shuffling or nutral drops with it. I think I've done mabey 1 burnout when I got the car and I never go more than half throttle from a start so it *should* be ok. Then again it is an AOD:dunce: .

Yeah, when I put the Cobra intake on mine, it really pulled in the upper rpms. Made it tons of fun to drive around in D all the time. All the roads around me are 50mph limits

I have the 1 5/8 headers and 2.5 catback (already have 2.5 h-pipe on there) ready to put on it when I get the car back in good running condition.

Mine will be similar to yours once I finish adding all the parts in the next year or two (well except that mine will have GT-40 heads) so I'm interested to hear how much of a difference the exhaust mods will make. Do you still have that 190,000 AOD behind your HO 5.0willgo? If so it must be one hell of an AOD:grinno:

Reply #13
Blahhhh this makes me want to get another bird soooo bad.  We cleaned out the garage of our new house finally and can only even keep one car in it otherwise we'd have to play the car shuffle every moring to get out of it, so I could feasibly just keep it in the garage and build it up.  I'd probably stick that TFS kit on it with the Twisted Wedges and their Cam.  The one that TurboCoupe50 has I think.

Reply #14
Quote from: DakotaEpic;123177
Blahhhh this makes me want to get another bird soooo bad.  We cleaned out the garage of our new house finally and can only even keep one car in it otherwise we'd have to play the car shuffle every moring to get out of it, so I could feasibly just keep it in the garage and build it up.  I'd probably stick that TFS kit on it with the Twisted Wedges and their Cam.  The one that TurboCoupe50 has I think.

You could always put the money into my car and know that another T-bird lover will be very happy:grinno: