Skip to main content
Topic: GT-40 or edelbrock performer RPM manifolds (Read 6082 times) previous topic - next topic

GT-40 or edelbrock performer RPM manifolds

which one flows the most air? which one is better in your opinion?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
The performer RPM flows more air. As to which one is better... well, that depends on what your goals are. For the street I'd go with a ported Cobra. Check out this article for the reasons why...

http://tmossporting.com/tabid/3451/Default.aspx

Btw, he ported my Cobra intake and did a great job. Highly recomended!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #2
The explorer intake flows within 2cfm(I think) of both the stock Cobra and GT-40. I think the lowers between the three are identical.
GT40p 5.0 w/ vortech @ 9.5psi, 400rwhp

Reply #3
the gt40 intake, imho is the best fricken looking intake ever. but that realy isnt a reason to buy an intake now, is it?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
Quote from: shame302;122843
the gt40 intake, imho is the best fricken looking intake ever. but that realy isnt a reason to buy an intake now, is it?

That's what I'm going to get to replace my stocker at some point. It just looks so  cool:cool:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
It does look badass.  Although the RMP II is supposed to be cream of the crop if your building a high flow motor.

Reply #6
i thought the BBK SSI intake was the best in high flow. it out performed a fully ported cobra intake manifold by 19rwhp.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #7
I was thinking it said on the BBK site that that intake is mainly for stock engines though as well. I was going to use that intake eventually until I read that.  Not only that but I haven't seen any spacers for that intake and it looks like  a nos system or anything like that would be a royal PITA to install into that intake. I would go with the GT40 or the Cobra intake mainly just to stay with ford parts, but with edelbrock you get the nifty red stickers to put on the car. :D
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

Reply #8
Quote from: quicksilver;123042
i thought the BBK SSI intake was the best in high flow. it out performed a fully ported cobra intake manifold by 19rwhp.

The Mustang guys are having serious issues installing SSI intakes. They look cool but are a royal PITA to install. Do a search over at  corral.net you'll see what I mean. I think the Cobra/GT40/Explorer or Performer and TFS Street intakes will out perform anything up to 5500. Beyond that you're looking at Performer RPM's, TFS track heat's and Holley Systemax 2... with the Holley being top dog.

You really cant beat the Cobra/Exploder for the money though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Quote from: Dogcharmer;123149
The Mustang guys are having serious issues installing SSI intakes. They look cool but are a royal PITA to install.

The BBK site has a pretty lengthy article on the install as well as the tests the ran on the intake vs. a ported cobra. With all the pictures included in swapping and information on the swap throughout the entire thing, It looks pretty straight up on install. there's relocation of at least one thing required but the throttle cables and everything hook up just like stock. Looked pretty simple. after reading that article there shouldn't be many problems what so ever on install unless you don't really read it to begin with.
87 T-bird two tone diarrhea color. 5.0 converted with AOD.  GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

94 Lincoln Towncar, Dark Metallic Green, 4.6L AOD
SOLD!!!!

99 Mercury Cougar. V6 MTX75 Trans. CURRENT PROJECT DAILY DRIVER.

Reply #10
Quote from: Master_xzavior;123231
The BBK site has a pretty lengthy article on the install ... Looked pretty simple. after reading that article there shouldn't be many problems what so ever on install unless you don't really read it to begin with.

Make sure you let us know how simple it was after you install yours... heheh...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
I like the Explorer intake.Very cost effective,and,as I've stated before,after I polished it,it looks completely aftermarket and it really made a big difference in performance.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #12
The bbk looks bad azz, too bad tmoss doesn't have dyno numbers against the gt40 type manifolds. He's right the best average torque is best for the street. The bbk looks well engineered, combines long equal runners drawing off 2 evenly split plenums. Looks like they did their homework on that one. The V type manifolds seem like all top end. If the bbk's torque average from 2k-5500 is tops, I wouldn't mind the install; however explorer is one of the best bang for bucks out. Do you all think it any of these would make a difference over the stock manifold on forced inductioned bird? Desktop dyno doesn't seem to think so. Equal distribution should work well with the juice on a tb plate.  :evilgrin:  Agree?

Mike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #13
i heard alot about coolent leaks with the bbk intake
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #14
Quote from: t.birdsc;123413
Do you all think it any of these would make a difference over the stock manifold on forced inductioned bird?
Mike

The rules totally change when you're talkin superchargers. On a supercharged engine is where the bigger intakes really shine. If I had forced induction I'd be looking more towards the Systemax 2, TFS Track or RPM 2.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]