Skip to main content
Topic: leaky cougar (Read 1007 times) previous topic - next topic

leaky cougar

everytime it rains, i find a puddle of rain water in the floorboard behind the driver's seat. it isn't evident where it's coming from yet, but i haven't had a chance to investigate much either. anyone had this problem before?
oh, and i'm finally enrolled into chipola college's automotive program. by the time i'm through, maybe i'll be able to contribute some valuable info to you guys. i'm shooting for some ase certifications, if not all of 'em. :grinno:
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

leaky cougar

Reply #1
rusty floor? or bad weather stripping?

leaky cougar

Reply #2
Check your entire carpet for wet spots the next time you encounter this.  You didn't mention if it was only when you drove or if parked in your driveway or all of the time.  I had a wet spot show up 2 times after I drove it in the rain.  Luckily I found it.  It was right where the hood latch comes through the firewall.  The grommet had disintegrated.  When I changed the cable (due to it being broken) I found my leak source AND got rid of it at the same time
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

leaky cougar

Reply #3
I had the "standard" ripped floor metal where the left seat rail bolts down. Can't remember if water got in or not, but it's somewhere else to check.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

leaky cougar

Reply #4
I'd check around the rear window, quarter windows, and trunk rubber. The source of the leak would be easier to find if we knew more info about where the car was parked, too - if it was facing uphill any water coming in around the windshield/firewall area could make its way to the back. If it was facing downhill the leak would likely be in the rear half of the car.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣