Skip to main content
Topic: Odd 1980 T-bird (Read 1331 times) previous topic - next topic

Odd 1980 T-bird

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Thunderbird_W0QQitemZ290067643094QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice something odd about the grill and trunk lid on this one? I've never seen one like that. I wonder if that type of trunk lid was some sort of early 80s aftermarket item.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #1
looks like a continental kit trunk lid. Did any lincoln trunks swap?

Love the gangster grille
1986 Cougar LS

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #2
That "style" (and I use the term only as a reference LOL) of trunklid was available for our cars in the aftermarket so I don't imagine why it wouldn't have been offered for earlier cars. Some were metal, some were fiberglass. Now the grille...that's a new one on me. Big pimpin' bayyyybeeeeee! ;) It looks like everything could have been one complete restyling package too (trunklid, grille, landau top, crooked badging on the front fender, etc.).

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #3
I think it makes the car look fugly. I like the stock look better:cool:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #4
actually, if it was a wee bit shorter... (grille) and not so fat... I'd rock it.

Looks nice with the color.

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #5
I'd rock it...but only after it got a carbed Windsor and a C6, and either turbines or snowflakes....
I like the way it all looks, nice clean car too.
:birdsmily:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #6
I saw one of  those "continental" trunklids on an 83-86 Bird a few years ago - it also had a vynil top and was FUGLY.

The ironic thing is that there are plenty of Mark VII owners that would love to be able to bolt a T-Bird trunklid on :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #7
those good ol TRX tires.
1986 Cougar LS

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #8
At least it doesnt have the fake convertable top...]

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #9
I used to see a fair number of Birds that were pimped up that way back when those cars were new.  I think that the funky trunk and grill were items that dealers would order and install at the behest of a customer. 

I was never a fan of that look.  It makes the car look too much like that monstrosity that was driven by Bill Blazejowski in "Night Shift."
Robert

- too many '80s Capris and mid-'70s Cougars

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #10
Wasnt dealer options, were installed by a coachbuilder then sent to the sales lot.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #11
I bet that is factroy package of some sort. Was I the only one to notice the mini mark logo on the trunk. That tells me it is some sort of package. Kinda like you want the looks of the mark but don't wanna pay for the mark. I bet it is a dealer option or a aftermarket kit. I think it looks pretty good for one of the BOX birds.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Odd 1980 T-bird

Reply #12
I have one of those "continental" trunklids for my '83 in my garage. Its fiberglass and came on the car when I bought it. Luckily the original owner still had the factory trunk lid with the spoiler in his garage. Got the trunk lid w/spoiler ground effects and the metal wheel arch trim (no longer on the car) for $100.