Skip to main content
Topic: Swap header question (Read 752 times) previous topic - next topic

Swap header question

I'm still deep in plans for a 351W swap even though it maybe a year or two before I get to it.  In the area of the exhaust system I just want to know: Is the primary purpose of 351 swap headers just to bolt up nice to a stock Mustang exhaust system?  Or are they actually necessary to clear things in the engine bay when the 351 is in?  Because if clearance isn't the issue, I haven't really got a use for them because I'm not putting in a Mustang-style exhaust.  I've got my eye on these swap headers:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BBK%2D1511&N=700+4294908331+4294925044+4294918680+4294871271+115&autoview=sku
Long tube swap headers are just way too expensive.  What have you guys done?
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Swap header question

Reply #1
theyre actually needed.

The 351 is taller and wider, and those headers are tighter around the block, and theyre a bit longer than a 5.0 header, so they clear everything.
It's Gumby's fault.

Swap header question

Reply #2
X2
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Swap header question

Reply #3
x3

I would save up for long tubes tho. 50% more. Or shop around for a used set.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Swap header question

Reply #4
X4...

AHEM... I have a set of barely used Mac shorties I'll sell(probably a bit early in the game for them at this point)...

Swap header question

Reply #5
BTW, what mods do you have planned for the 351w?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver