Skip to main content
Topic: Carb cant decelerate quickly.... (Read 963 times) previous topic - next topic

Carb cant decelerate quickly....

Ok, is not from my car, but is a ford truck with a 3.8 V6. A friend of mine was messing with the carb of his truck. He is mechanically inclined but still shag some items every now and then. Well, he said to me he tried to clean the carb (sure BS, more probabbly he moved something). Now when he acelerates the truck, the engine wont decelerate quickly, it takes like 3 or 4 seconds in the same throttle, and after that time the truck decelerates slowly. This is critical since is an auto....

I checked the throttle cable but is working properly. What would i do now ?

thanks...

mmm, i guess is the same carb from my cougar, 2150v or 2100, i dont remember, but one of those two....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #1
I would verify the throttle lever is returning to rest after it's open.  Sometimes they don't.  If that's the case you can help it a little by cutting a piece of vacuum hose to an appropriate length and wrap it around the shaft of the throttle cable at the bracket to act as a spacer and add tension to the return spring.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #2
It's stupid, but My Bird when I have make exactly the same thing, It was like a cruise control when I decelerate, decelarate very very slowly and have a high rpm on the neutral, the cause was very stupid, but was a distributor advance not correct......

I guess Is not Your problem, but just in case...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

Reply #3
Vacspooge leak. It's sucking air somewhere it shouldn't. try taking a spray bottle and lightly spray water around the intake/carb mating area. When you hit the spot thats sucking air, the car will bogg down or stall. My bet, if he took the carb off, it's not seated right or the old gasket is shot.

Reply #4
Quote from: Cobra'Bird;120036
Vacspooge leak. It's sucking air somewhere it shouldn't. try taking a spray bottle and lightly spray water around the intake/carb mating area. When you hit the spot thats sucking air, the car will bogg down or stall. My bet, if he took the carb off, it's not seated right or the old gasket is shot.

should have a high idle if that were the case also,, does it idle high?

Reply #5
Quote from: Cobra'Bird;120036

Quote from: jcassity;120054
should have a high idle if that were the case also,, does it idle high?

Yep, both are right ! today i went to the guys house and re-checked the truck carb, and it has no gasket ! no doubt, he removed the carb and forgot to put a new gasket. The truck, was exactly, idlig high, so tomorrow we`ll check again with a new gasket. Stay tuned...
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150