Skip to main content
Topic: help!!! need ans quick--MAC h-pipe fitment? (Read 896 times) previous topic - next topic

help!!! need ans quick--MAC h-pipe fitment?

alright i found a good deal on a MAC h-pipe (was originally gonna get the summit one) and i need to know if it will fit and not hit tranny linkage or anything. i seem to remember someone here having this huge problem with one, there was all kinds of pics, and someone told him to bend this piece of linkage in with huge pliers! (or is that not so bad? i just dont like the idea of messing with the linkage that controls my trans)

this would be using stock mustang shortys btw. will it fit alright?

thanks!

-paul
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
I am using a Pypes off road X-Pipe made for a 5 speed Mustang.I had a small problem with shift linkage clearance.I got a hammer and put a flat edge to the linkage side of the pipe.I didn't cave it in,just made it flat.Not enough to hurt performance.I too didn't want to mess with my linkage.Other than that,I've had no problems.i know mine isn't a Mac,but in my own experience,most are designed very similar.Mine is a two piece unit which also allowed me some amount of adjustment.Good luck.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
oh ok well arent the x pipes harder to get in anyhow? cause both pipes are angled in very steep to the center right? 

well whatever the case that sounds good! i have a couple different rubber mallets and plenty of small pieces of wood and stuff. i had thought about that but i didnt want to hurt the flow. but then again the mustang headers are full of dents! (im guessing thats for the steering shaft and motor mounts?)

thanks vin!!

Paul
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #3
You a floor shifter in that 20th dont you? That usually makes it easier.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
heheh NOPE!! column shifter.

Reply #5
Mine went on very smoothly.No problems,except for the shift linkage,BUT,my X-Pipe is for a 5 speed car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
Quote from: ZondaC12;116797
i seem to remember someone here having this huge problem with one, there was all kinds of pics, and someone told him to bend this piece of linkage in with huge pliers! (or is that not so bad? i just dont like the idea of messing with the linkage that controls my trans)

this would be using stock mustang shortys btw. will it fit alright?

thanks!

-paul

That was me... and here's the link to the thread:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=10125&page=4&highlight=pipe
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #7
Oh, and also if you have a k-member brace like the TC's and sports do and if you can get a hold of a ratcheting tie-down strap this little trick will save you a lot of time and aggravation...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)