Skip to main content
Topic: Twin exhaust on a 3.8/232ci. (Read 2384 times) previous topic - next topic

Twin exhaust on a 3.8/232ci.

Hello all!,

A guy near My town parting out his '87 or '88 Cougar 5.0, He have like new dual exhaust on it, and he offered to Me for a few bucks...

The question is: IF I install this on My '85 3.8/232 with a 3.8 stock brand new lers, what sound My car will have?, I don't need to have a ricer sound or like a twin 3cyl firefly under My hood :grinno: ...

I guess I'll have a few HP, and a restrictionless exhaust (I don't have a catalyser)...

What do You think on that?...

Thank You very much!.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

Reply #1
I had a 3.8 'Bird a few years ago and had dual exhaust installed with two turbo lers.It actually sounded pretty good.....for a v-6.It sounded a lot like a Grand National,but without the wicked power.Just don't usee glas packs.That'll sound like .
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Quote from: vinnietbird;116562
I had a 3.8 'Bird a few years ago and had dual exhaust installed with two turbo lers.It actually sounded pretty good.....for a v-6.It sounded a lot like a Grand National,but without the wicked power.Just don't usee glas packs.That'll sound like .

Hello,

I want to put a stock lers on each side, I dont know if it's sound good, cauz My single exhaust sound like a V8, BUT I like the duals exhausts, I made My own on any of My past vehicle, except My truck (inline six), and I love that...

Thanks,

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;116562
.......Just don't usee glas packs.That'll sound like .

So this sounds like ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ls0g98ti9A

That is the factory '88 XR-7, with dual cherry bomb glasspacs revvin to 6500rpm, on a 3.8L.

I thought it sounded pretty good for a 6.  I even had a couple people ask me if it was a V8.

Reply #4
WLD BRD...

I liked the sound of this car, it's not My 429 was in My Cyclone, but for a V6 is good enough, You just convicted Me to purchase the THRUE dual exhaust of My friend, and I'll install before I paint My car, You have a thrue argument with that... :grinno:

Best regards,

Reply #5
dude why did you wind it out like that? was it one of those the-motor's-dead/going-to-be-replaced-so-kill-it kinda deals?

but whatever the case yeah thats prolly the best v6 ive ever heard.:cool:

i even remember hearing a turbocoupe vid on streetfire made by someone here and it sounded a lot more like that/like an 8 that like a 4 banger

see thats what separates us from the ricers--some of us have 6s and 4s is our cars but oddly enough...they actually sound good. a correct exhaust....our best-guarded secret that keeps them sounding like . well done, dont let it get out! :rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #6
yeah, that motor has gone to the crushers, I did that the day I pulled it and dropped a 5.0L into it.
Here is another video of the Tach doing the same thing to that motor.  You can hear it finally gives it's last breathes of life.  (doesn't quite blow yet).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXpqgNW4bMk

Worst part, the motor was a great motor, just need HGs.  type:1WLDBRD in youtube search bar, to see burnouts as well from that 3.8.:cool:

Reply #7
Actually,that did sound pretty good.I've heard some that sound like tuner cars,and I hate tuner cars.I don't care if they can do a 4 second 1/4 mile.But,again,that did sound pretty good.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
I don't want to start a discussion on a wich engines are better other ones with My question here, I like My fresh rebuilted 3.8/232ci in My ole '85, Just cauz I like the duals, and the sound on a V-8, I know the sound of a V8 duals, not for a 232, that is My question...

I hear the 1WLD BRD argument and it's good to Me, I don't do this on My car to race or whatever, justt cauz I like a duals.

I'll be read some of Your points and I'll try to make My fines as possible for My car, at 41 I don't want a BRAMBADAMbadamammmmm!, just a louder sound that's it....

Thanks for Your help posted above and before...

Best regards,

Reply #9
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;116594
So this sounds like ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ls0g98ti9A

That is the factory '88 XR-7, with dual cherry bomb glasspacs revvin to 6500rpm, on a 3.8L.

I thought it sounded pretty good for a 6.  I even had a couple people ask me if it was a V8.

did you also have headers on there or just stock exhaust manifolds?
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #10
man what a bummer! such potentially good motors but those dern gaskets!!! i never been to the 3.8 section of eric's site, is there a "golden bullet" solution to that? (actually i dont even know why they blow them a lot! :dunce: )

tbirdmaniac, all ya gotta know is that if you get the same exhaust setup as him, it will sound like that (if thats what you're looking for)
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #11
Quote from: Tbirdmaniac;116650
I don't want to start a discussion on a wich engines are better other ones with My question here, I like My fresh rebuilted 3.8/232ci in My ole '85, Just cauz I like the duals, and the sound on a V-8, I know the sound of a V8 duals, not for a 232, that is My question...

I hear the 1WLD BRD argument and it's good to Me, I don't do this on My car to race or whatever, justt cauz I like a duals.

I'll be read some of Your points and I'll try to make My fines as possible for My car, at 41 I don't want a BRAMBADAMbadamammmmm!, just a louder sound that's it....

Thanks for Your help posted above and before...

Best regards,

Off topic but are you a french canadian?
One 88

Reply #12
I had a dual exhaust with glasspacks on the V-6 Cougar I used to have.  I installed 2 aftermarket cats on it as well.  I wasn't crazy about the sound at idle, but anything over 1500 RPM and she sounded great!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
Quote from: CougarSE;116702
Off topic but are you a french canadian?

Yes!, for what?, this make a difference between You and Me?!!!

except the language, as well...

Reply #14
"are you french canadian?"

Can you read?:confused:  look at where he is from.:slap:  no offense made here but, Awfully dumb question unless you are out to insult (obviously)someone.:shakehead