Skip to main content
Topic: hard shifting? (Read 1679 times) previous topic - next topic

hard shifting?

i know its my TV cable thats the culprit.. it shifts from 1st to drive easily... OD shifts into at about 45 but it clunks  runs healthy, just doesnt shift quite right.

hard shifting?

Reply #1
My car has always clunked a bit into and out of OD. Most AOD cars I've been in have. Hell magazines used to bitch about it back in the day. The AOD has a tendency to kinda clunk into and out of OD. If it's not really bad it's probably normal.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

hard shifting?

Reply #2
ok, atleast its not me.. this car runs like a fuggin champ. needs tailpipes... cause its just a weebit too loud for my taste :D

and i have new pioneer radio too :D today is just a good ass day.

hard shifting?

Reply #3
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;114811
ok, atleast its not me.. this car runs like a fuggin champ. needs tailpipes... cause its just a weebit too loud for my taste :D

and i have new pioneer radio too :D today is just a good ass day.

It might be a little too loud for the Cops taste too:grinno:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

hard shifting?

Reply #4
headers h-pipe and cherrybombs... meh it has a nice rumbl;e but gets monotonous over a period of time.

hard shifting?

Reply #5
Ah the glass pack sound. Wait till the fiber glass goes to hell then it'll get really loud.

hard shifting?

Reply #6
too late... and i need to ajust my tv cable... it shifts at 44mph.

hard shifting?

Reply #7
It shifts into OD at 44 mph? Mine always did that with the stock 2.73 rear no matter how I adjusted it. With the 3.73s it shifts to OD at about 39 mph (lower gear ratio so more rpms at a lower speed). If you adjusted it after you put the engine back in it should still be fine........

hard shifting?

Reply #8
idk man... im putting tranny fluid in it still... im on about 8 1/2 qts

hard shifting?

Reply #9
and i need to ajust my tv cable... it shifts at 44mph.
And AGAIN I ask... with the gas pedal on the floor or just barely touched?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

hard shifting?

Reply #10
half way..

i prolly need more fluid.. cause its stickin

i have to let off the gas to get it to shift some times

hard shifting?

Reply #11
meh, drove it again today... its shiftin with no pressure on the gas@ 45 mph

hard shifting?

Reply #12
now this thing holds gears.. say im in od, going 55... i mash on it and it downshifts and im going 60 to pass someone.. it wont shift back into od unless i let completely off the gas. then it shifts and all is well.

wtf do i do now?

im basically transmission illiterate

hard shifting?

Reply #13
A stock AOD will not shift into OD while at WOT.  It's working as it should.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!