Skip to main content
Topic: electric fan questions (Read 1171 times) previous topic - next topic

electric fan questions

just got a couple questions about electric fans.
Which one would be better, a TC, or a Taurus fan?

Never messed with them too much, and don't know how to wire one up.
Anyboy have a diagram or a schematic to look at?
And what kind of relay would I need to use?
Thank, and sorry to ask such a common question. Not a lot of info in search..
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

electric fan questions

Reply #1
A TC fan won't fit with a V8, so your problem's solved :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

electric fan questions

Reply #2
Just get some aftermarket fans. I've got a set of Hayden fans and there adjustable controller. They work great and they are very thin. The controller is easy to wire up and you get to set what temp they come on at.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

electric fan questions

Reply #3
I have a Taurus on my TC. I like it. They are cheap and pull more CFM than most aftermarket ones.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

electric fan questions

Reply #4
Im going to be installing one also.  SInce i dont have ac,, i find the area now available on the **FRONT** of the radiator very interesting.  I now have a fan and it seems to fit in there nice so we'll see.  I plan on removing the fan clutch assy and tighten down the water pump pully bolts flush.

as for how to,,,, im gonna copy what ford / chevy ect does already..........
control the coil side of a relay such as a fuel pump relay with a med gauge wire waiting for a ground to be created (temp switch supplies my ground).  When this happens, the contacts of the relay will get sucked together and supply power to a fan which i will use a larger guage wire.
my diagram vs the 2.3 factory setup.

electric fan questions

Reply #5
Just a note: If you wire the relay with the polarity shown (the diode pointing toward the coolant temp switch) you'll pop it the first time the relay is energized. The diode is supposed to point the other way to prevent power spikes when the relay is de-energized (think of the relay coil as a mini ignition coil)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

electric fan questions

Reply #6
I used a $40 autozone controller that had a built in 30 amp relay, was more of a solid state thing (I think).  It died...

Now I'm using the $17 dollar fan controller that looks like somthing out of a $100 painless kit... and all is well..

I've got two relays wired up, one ATO fuse block and lights that indicate 1. when the fans are on 2. when the fans are off.

I can control each fan seperate of the other. I.E. turn them on/off.  I can also control wether they will continue to run (with thermostat) after the car is off, or just turn off.
One 88

electric fan questions

Reply #7
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;114820
Just a note: If you wire the relay with the polarity shown (the diode pointing toward the coolant temp switch) you'll pop it the first time the relay is energized. The diode is supposed to point the other way to prevent power spikes when the relay is de-energized (think of the relay coil as a mini ignition coil)

:grinno: yep,,, dono why i drew it like that, :dunce: