Skip to main content
Topic: What welder do you have?? (Read 4169 times) previous topic - next topic

What welder do you have??

I think I have determined that I am going to buy a lincoln or a miller but I don't know if I should get a 110volt  or 220volt. The 110 versions are oviously less money.  I will mainly need it for exhaust and body panels but will they be able to weld subframe connectors.
What do you guys/gals have for a weld. Can I get the 110?

Re: What welder do you have??

Reply #1
i have a canox firefly mig that runs off 110 and i use it to build trailers and do body work with no problems at all.if all your goals are is to do body work then 110 is fine.mine will weld up to 1/4" metal  but no thicker then that.plus the up side to 110 is you can use it ne where there is a plug in and 220 you can't

Reply #2
I have a weldmate 75amp arc welder, its no good on sheet metal but can do 1/8-3/16 no problem and the price was right (beer!) but if I was buying another it would be a 110 volt mig, they can be had fairly innexpensively and will do most anything you will need it to.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
Well i have 2 Lincoln's one is 110 and other is a 220

Reply #4
I have one of the 110V mig Lincolns.  I would like to get a 220V one when I get a bigger garage to work from.
It's amazing how much you can do with the 110V though.  It's one of those things I don't know how I lived without for so long.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
I have a Century 135 mig, a Lincoln buzz box and a four cylinder gas Lincoln welder.  :grinno:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #6
I have the MIllerMatic 175. Love it! If you do get a welder, look for variable heat settings not preset ones. Miller makes Hobart if you want to save a couple of dollars. Lincolns are good for the price. Stay away from no-namers. They use cheap parts and when they break its hard to get parts for. You get what you pay for.

James:cool:

Reply #7
I have a century 90 amp 110V mig welder. Its good for the light stuff but cant do anything that thick. I have access to another welder at school which is 220v and can do a lot thicker material.

Reply #8
I have the 110V Lincoln mig as well, it's a great welder! I've welded 3/16 to 1/4" plate with good results as well.