Skip to main content
Topic: My V-6 needs some help (Read 1646 times) previous topic - next topic

My V-6 needs some help

Well I have the dreaded engine surge problem, as well as the thing stalling out on me.

I bought a remanufactured distributor w/module, but the ed thing doesn't work properly and I have to return it this week. 

Has anyone else had the same problem of reman. distributors not matching what's in the car?

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

My V-6 needs some help

Reply #2
TPS, IAC (dirty or dead, either one), egr valve stuck, idle set too low, whatever else I can't think of right now.......
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

My V-6 needs some help

Reply #3
Thanks folks. 

The TPS, as well as all engine sensors, are new - they have about 6,000 miles on it since installing them in 2003.  Although the TPS could have went bad...who knows. The car rarely sees the road outside of Sunday morning cruises and car show drives.

I figured the distributor & module were the problem, since they are what was on the car when I bought it in 1999.  The dist. was installed sometime in the early 90's and has upwards of 150,000 miles on it. Now that the car barely sees over 3,000 miles a year she's deciding to give me problems!

Chris

My V-6 needs some help

Reply #4
Any codes?

Am I correct in thinking that CFI engines do not have an IAC?

Is the '87 3.8 or 5.0 CFI?

My V-6 needs some help

Reply #5
does sound like the throttle position sensor to me as well

My V-6 needs some help

Reply #6
87 V6 car would be CFI,

And have you pulled KOER KOEO codes??  Please do so unless you like to lessen the load in your wallet.
One 88

My V-6 needs some help

Reply #7
Thanks again.

We didn't get any codes from the car when we did the test.  I took the dist. back tonight and they noticed it was defective, so they ordered me another.  Hopefully it will be the right one.

Is there a test for the TPS?

Chris

My V-6 needs some help

Reply #8
there is a test for voltage.  If I remember right its in the FAQ's section.  somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

My V-6 needs some help

Reply #9
Quote from: Chris1987LX;109920
Thanks again.
Is there a test for the TPS?

Hey chris!!!

so,, you gotta be kidding us ,right,,,?  Are you nucking futs? (jk)

you know this stuff dood:grinno:

probe the green wire with a stick pin and clip your red meter lead to it.  Ground your black lead. Its best to have a meter with a needle (buttstuffog) vs the digital meter for this test but either will do.  Set the meter to dc volts.  turn on the ign switch but dont start.
move up to the engine bay and manually move the trottle linkage slowly,,,,,,,,look for less than a volt before you move the linkage and it should perfectly increase in voltage as you increase the trottle.  It will top out at a level that varys with different TPS's that i have noticed.  I would like to say that yours will top out at 4.6vdc but i have tossed ones in the trash that only top out at 4.4 or less. 
you can check by resistance only by setting your meter to ohms (5k range) and read between the green to black and then from the green to orange.  these two checks will require you to manually move the linkage as well.  when you get the max value on each of the two resistance checks see if they are equal.  Add these two values together and you should equal the value on the third check which is from the black to orange.

My V-6 needs some help

Reply #10
Quote from: softtouch;109849
Any codes?

Am I correct in thinking that CFI engines do not have an IAC?

Is the '87 3.8 or 5.0 CFI?

Sort of kind of,,,,,,,,,,, same principle,, just located in exterior completely whereas the IAC is mounted partially hidden in the upper intake on an 88 3.8 and the SEFI 5.0's

the IAC you speak of is our idle control motor assembly. Its actually call an ISC.