Skip to main content
Topic: Magazine recognition (Read 1690 times) previous topic - next topic

Magazine recognition

i have get 5.0 mustang and super ford mag every month and just like MM&FF its all mustangs yet their title implys that there might be some variaty yet there isnt on a regularly. i know for a fact that if eric or andrew, or hawk put their got there cars in any mag we would get some respect and creidt for our cars. i would love to see all the show quality cars that we are now putting on a calander try and get in one of the many ford/5.0 or any mag out there. there has to be some one on those staffs that can stray from the path and pic something "original". i love stangs but a a certain point it seems as like you have seen it all before just in a different color or with something else to compliment it.

as anyone tried to get into a mag? i know that once child4saken gets the chrome undies he should have a lowrider opp. ive seen cars in there with dirty turn signal lenses and just like all the other genericlly named mags the only cover a certain group of what the title implys.
1986 Cougar LS

Magazine recognition

Reply #1
Articles from two recent issues of MM&FF posted here just to be a prick :grinno: lol

If Eric wanted the attention i'm sure any of those mags would be all over him and his car.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Magazine recognition

Reply #2
^true.
Eric would probably draw too much unwanted attention possibly in the form of thieves or vandals. Might do more harm than good.

I could see them doing a spread on our cars. While the article they did on that TC was a nice change, I think they could devote one article on all fox birds and cougars to give a taste of their value and potential. Besides, one article coving several years and styles of the same cars won't take away from their big feature article on one of their precious stangs.

Magazine recognition

Reply #3
LOL...I love how I always get drawn into this discussion. ;)

My whole outlook on the magazine situation is, I'm not going to kiss anyone's backside to have an article printed about my car. The mag is going to find me...I'm not going to hunt them down. Now could I get an article if I pushed for it? Maybe. That's just not my style though. The car will stand on its own, by its own merits, without my intervention. So I just keep doing what I do, which is attend shows that I like, and if the correct person notices it--cool. If not...I won't be crying. It doesn't matter to me at all.

On the other hand...it would be nice to show recognition for our cars. And if I somehow can be "that guy" to do it, then bring it on. (I'm not worried about the car, BTW--it's always safe). ;)

With these magazines you are competing against the inherent prejudice towards Mustangs. That is an overwhelming situation, to say the least. Your car has to be that much better than the lowest Mustang in any given issue. I mean, think about it--no Mustangs in the mags have any visible rust, for example. So that eliminates a LOT of people already LOL. Mustangs owners also enjoy immense aftermarket support and can buy lots of new parts. We can't do any of that without scrounging, sing, refinishing, or stealing from other vehicles.

Nobody said life would be easy owning one of our cars. And unfortunately the magazines seem to cater towards the easy solution. But it would be nice if someone noticed the fruits of our hardship for a change! Personally I think the guys that have the nicely-finished blower setup have a great chance of getting their cars in print. And of course, there's Glenn's car. And all of Karl's.

One thing to consider: at least the Fox cars have a better chance. When's the last time you saw an article about an MN12 car? When they came out in 1989, the overwhelming consensus from every magazine was that the cars were nice but woefully bloated. The mags never looked past that prejudice. And that's why, even though you may see more MN12's at shows (and quite a few really nices ones), there are rarely articles about them. So I suppose we should count our blessings in this case.

Magazine recognition

Reply #4
I dunno, seems to me like there's a lot more MN12 Thunderbirds in magazines like MM&FF than any older bodystyle. Hell, they even had that one shootout devoted entirely to Super Coupes.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Magazine recognition

Reply #5
That shootout was actually Turbo Coupes vs. Super Coupes. Glenn kicked everybodies @$$ but all the other TC's broke. So instead of showing a lone TC whipping the 5 SC's they badmouthed the TC and called it an "all-SC" shootout.

Magazine recognition

Reply #6
Do you really want the recognition?

Go to a Mustang forum, and you will see a flock of idiot 16-20 year old kids running around thinking their ragged out 5.0 fox body is considered "american muscle" and calling any import rice. Its pure ignorance. We have our members that run around here like idiots, asking stupid questions and not doing any thinking for themselves, do you really want a fleet of these people? Imagine if this place got filled with highschool kids that couldnt type, used numbers, didnt know what punctuation was, and were just total idiots. Thats what this magazine recognition would do.

Not to mention, it would thin out the supply of nicer cars, when you get kids buying them with their parents money, doing stupid shiznit to them, and then running them into things. Like we need that.

Leave the recognition to the mustang crowd...theres already too many of those running around.
It's Gumby's fault.

Magazine recognition

Reply #7
I know this wasn't a call-out to me, But I as a Senior i highschool try hard to learn what I'm doing. I take care of the Fila, hold back from doing stupid/pointless stuff to the car, and try hard to type and spell right. I know there are ALOT of stupid teens out there but there are a few that try. Don't get me wrong, i agree with you. i know a few guys with 5.0 stangs that think they rock and every import sucks. I also know that our cars demand work, respect and some recognition. The question is who will give recognition to us and for what reason. Is it because we own a T-bird or that we have the guts to take on all the work these cars need

Magazine recognition

Reply #8
That definatly wasnt a call out towards you, especially because you take the effort. All it takes is effort.
It's Gumby's fault.

Magazine recognition

Reply #9
Effort and the willingness to learn and accept help.

Magazine recognition

Reply #10
I'd have to say that I somewhat agree with Shawn but not in full.
Every Mustang driver when I was in high school was an egotistical @sshole.

Although at my school there were 3 other fox bodied cougars besides mine. One guy cared somewhat for his, the other was worse than the Mustang drivers and the third was an idiot as well. In fact, I know that all of their cars have been junked by now.

I think as far as having 16-17 year olds tear up these cars, it's bound to happen whether we have magazine recognition or not. They are afterall, inexpensive cars. That said, surely the magazine attention would cause more people to go out and buy these things. Some may beat them into the ground while others may do what we try to do with them.

Basically that would mean a couple things
1. magazine attention causes more of these cars to be bought meaning fewer for us.
2. it causes more kids to get these cars, possibly destroying them lowering the availability of cars and parts for us and destructing a perfectly good car.
3. Could give these cars and their drivers a bad name if kids are driving them like lunatics. But wait, sooo many of us have admitted to doing that so they could already be branded as such.

HOWEVER,
Wouldn't it be true that if magazines started picking up these cars a bit, causing a sudden mass interest in them that perhaps the aftermarket will pick up as well? Not only that but the value of them would be sure to increase a bit. I'd be willing to sacrifice many of these cars by idiot drivers because of magazine attention if the aftermarket could start producing replacement parts for them.

It's amazing how for some cars, all you need is say the cowl and a frame and you could build the enitre car using aftermarket parts. We have nothing though, and I'm sure this would be a way that could change.

Magazine recognition

Reply #11
i cant type, suck at spelling and drive like an ass but thats what i do best. i love my car but i still run the sh*t out of it,and have a  good time doing it, but im not going to s it after i get in to a wreck (hints the primer front) i would love to see just a few articles about our cars. i dobt that they will catch on good enough to make a big aftermaket or fad. i like being the underdog around here, im the only Ford guy at school(4 camaros) and a Cougar? people think its a joke till i leave the cloud of somke in the lot and laugh on the way out. i am that kid that gives our cars a bad name, but im still resectful to the streets and neigborhoods but i want a list of people that dont act like idiots once in there life. i am not that bad of a driver but everyone gives me a bad name cause im young and i play load music and run a semi-open exaust, so in return it falls on my car and everyone that has one like it. so sorry that i give you guys a bad name but im going to have fun and enjoy high school and all the stupid Sh*t that goes with it.
1986 Cougar LS

Magazine recognition

Reply #12
I would just like to say that by getting and driving a tbird or cougar over a dime-a-dozen mustang speaks alot about the people here.  We actually like/love our cars and can't, and shouldn't be, labeled "posers".  And this is coming from someone who grew up when the fox mustangs were the new "it" thing.  My 2 cents.
1987 TC

Magazine recognition

Reply #13
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;109493
That shootout was actually Turbo Coupes vs. Super Coupes. Glenn kicked everybodies @$$ but all the other TC's broke. So instead of showing a lone TC whipping the 5 SC's they badmouthed the TC and called it an "all-SC" shootout.

Was that the one where the fastest SC guy ran a 12.xx? I had thought that was intended as a SC-only shootout. :dunno: Thats the one I was referring to, I didn't know that was the one that the TC's had been invited to but they ended up having all those problems.

Steve Choma did have his in there a few months back, it was the blue '87 or 88 TC that ran low 12s. Was supposed to be an MN12 vs. Fox bird/cougar shootout, but only ended up having four cars for some reason (a 4.6 MN12 cougar that belongs to a guy from here in WV, Steve Choma, and two guys in slow SC's)

They had a turbo 2.3 shootout also, but only one car in it was a t-bird ('86). All the rest were Mustangs or SVO's, and one or two Xr4Ti's.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Magazine recognition

Reply #14
I'd rather get magaizine recognition from CarCraft than from any of the Mustang mags. In fact I'd almost be willing to bet our cars would be appreciated more in CarCraft than any of the Mustang mags for the simple fact that they're different (unusual).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)