Skip to main content
Topic: Non-Fox sparkplug advice/suggestions. (Read 1104 times) previous topic - next topic

Non-Fox sparkplug advice/suggestions.

Didn't know if I should put this here or in the lounge being as it's related to a non fox engine, but eh.

Basically what i'm looking to find out is what would be the best type of spark plug for a '98 Duratec (24v dohc) V6. I'm gathering up items for it's tune-up and I'm having a bit of difficulty deciding on whether or not to get Platinum or Iridium and wheter or not to get Autolites, Motorcrafts, or something like NGK's. I'm pretty sure Platinums were installed stock, but if i could get something that would help in the gas milelage/perfomance realms I wouldn't mind spending the extra change on them.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys could offer on this.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #1
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us30428.htm

Platinum & Iridium Spark Plugs
Long-life spark plugs by ACDelco, Autolite, Bosch, Champion, NGK and Split-Fire all have platinum or platinum-tipped electrodes. With a couple of exceptions, most of these plugs use a conventional electrode configuration with a small platinum plug welded to the tip of one or both electrodes. ACDelco also offers a platinum version of its "Rapidfire" plug that features a fluted center electrode for improved ignition reliability. Likewise, Split-Fire offers a platinum version of its split electrode plugs for motorists who want extended life as well as reduced misfiring.

Bosch, who introduced the first platinum plug back in 1985, offers several different electrode configurations in their product line. Their standard platinum plug has a thin pure platinum center electrode with a single yttrium-alloy end electrode. Their Platinum+2 and Platinum+4 plugs, on the other hand, have a unique "surface gap" side electrode design with two side electrodes on the Platinum+2 plug and four on the Platinum+4 - a sort of good, better, best approach to platinum plug technology. Increasing the number of side electrodes gives the spark more paths to ground and reduces the risk of misfire, while extending plug life by spreading wear over more electrode surfaces.

In the fall of 2006, Bosch introduced yet another long-life spark plug called Platinum IR Fusion. Similar in design to the Platinum+4 plug, this new plug uses a center electrode made of a unique iridium/platinum alloy. The four side electrodes are a wear-resistant yttrium alloy. By combining platinum and iridium in the center electrode, Bosch says their new plug provides even longer service life (probably the longest of any spark plug that is currently available). Bosch also says their new Platinum IR Fusion plugs are an ideal replacement for any engine that comes originally equipped with either iridium spark plugs or platinum spark plugs.

One important point to keep in mind with respect to Bosch Platinum IR Fusion, Platinum+4 and Platinum+2 plugs is that these plugs are pre-gapped at the factory to a uniform 1.6 mm setting and should not be re-gapped to the specifications for a standard spark plug. It's very difficult to get even spacing with multiple electrodes so install them without changing the electrode gaps.

NGK "Iridium IX" and Denso brand "Iridium Power" plugs use a different exotic metal for their center electrode: you guessed it, iridium. Alloyed with rhodium, the iridium electrode is six times harder and eight times stronger than platinum. Pure iridium also has a melting temperature that is almost 1,200� F higher than platinum, making it a very tough metal indeed. On late-model Toyota and Lexus applications, the OEM-recommended replacement interval for Denso iridium plugs is 120,000 miles.

The iridium plugs also have a very thin (0.6 mm to 0.7 mm depending on the plug) center electrode. The end electrode has a "U-Groove" that improves ignition reliability and wear resistance. Denso says their design reduces the required firing voltage up to 5,000 volts compared to a standard spark plug.

For performance applications, Denso has also developed Iridium Power plugs with a super narrow 0.4 mm center electrode. These plugs are engineered to improve ignition reliability under extreme driving conditions rather than longevity, so the recommended replacement interval for the iridium plugs with the super narrow 0.4 mm center electrodes is 30,000 miles.

Here's another bit of trivia for the gray matter: Iridium is literally an out-of-this-world metal. Approximately 50 million years ago, according to the Denso website, a giant asteroid from outer space smashed into our planet near the Mexican town of Chicxulub in Yucatan. The impact created a firestorm and dust cloud that darkened the Earth for years, wiped out the dinosaurs and left us with a layer of iridium-rich deposits that is evenly spread across every continent (the "K/T boundary" layer).

http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark.asp

People always ask my plug recommendations. I must say that I like the NGK V-Power Plugs, the Champion Premium Fine-Wire Gold plugs, and the Nippondenso U-Groove plugs for domestics. In the Imports, the Bosch or NGK Platinum plugs usually work best. I have been testing the AC RapidFire plugs currently and I must say I am impressed by the results. Plugs that are useless to me are the Split-Fire plugs (poor materials -- actually an Autolite plug with the "V" tip), and of course the Autolite plug itself. I have seen the most failures and poor performance out of these plugs. This is not a bash session, so those of you that love your Split-Fires or Autolites, I'll wait for you at the finish line  ...

I've seen this above quote a number of times in different places so I will say that this dude is probably regarded as somewhat of an expert.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
Ok that makes sense to me. I do have a question about plugs in my 84 t-bird t/c 2.3t. I look them up at work they don't offer the fine wire plugs or the bosch +2 +4. I'm running the NGK v power now. So does the computer know more than I think yep the books don't even offer them for the car. So what you think would they be better or worse for it.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
My two cents worth.
What I don't see mentioned here is the length and heat range.
Every combustion chamber has a 'sweet spot' where ignition will do you the most good.
Longer or shorter plugs and your getting out of the bull's eye.
The length that the electrode protrudes out from the base determines its ability to heat and cool.
Longer for a downtown sluggy run and shorter for performance high speeds.
To long and you've got a ping. Of course way to long and bang the piston gets you.
Sure try other plugs but keep these factors in mind.
BobNorway;)
There are only two tools you will ever need:
1) WD40
2) Duct Tape
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Reply #4
Thanks for the info you've all offered up guys. I think i'm gonna go with a set of NGK Iridium IX plugs. At $7 bucks a pop they should do the trick, and if all goes well in the long run, i'll probably not have to worry about changing them for quite a while.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #5
NGK V-Powers in just about everything I've ever owned, and the NGK Iridium IX's in a few apps as they come out.

while I'm here...

Reply #6
Does anyone know what plugs fit the cast iron GT40 heads? Any name brand/# will do as a cross reference, just installed'em now gonna need plugs ( after the rockers, intake, etc. , of course!)