Skip to main content
Topic: Ram in, Cat out? (Read 2535 times) previous topic - next topic

Ram in, Cat out?

over the past few days there has been an urge to sell my cars and buy a 2002-2005 dodge ram1500. something has overtaken the fox body love in me and replaced it with the lust for the factory 20"s and the aggesive look of a black ram.

problems;
*im broke so ill need to get my sh*t straight first

*need to get a loan, but parents said they co-sign and whatever.

*still have love for my Cougar and dont want to let it go

*if im going to take out a loan and be broke im going to have something to show for it so leather and Nav are on the list of wanted options

reasons;
*my car is starting to scare me in the way that its 20 year old and stuff breaks( which makes sence)

*I cant have a project as a DD, i just dont have the resources

*college is only 2 years away and need something more dependable, even thought it might end up i get a lemon (dont get me wrong the cat has only given me a big problem once in the 2 tear ive had it and the year ive driven it)

*luxury is one my mind cause i dont have the money for speed

*its one shagy truck

i wont be able to do this till early next year but i would love to have that truck.

how much can i expect to get from my Cougar, it only has 62000 (and it hasnt totally roled that yet) i will have the front painted and i will come with a black factory grille not suere if ponies are going withit but i have originak TRX rims plus an extra tire the needs patched really bad and isnt that safe, and a factory hood. also have consolette if any one would want to convert it back. comes with factory stereo and should have dual by the time i sell it cause i will need to pass emissions in dec and stilll plan to have it then as of now.

long post but i need some input and thoughts even if they are all about me keeping the Cat
1986 Cougar LS

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #1
I think buying a $10K+ truck when you're broke is a bad idea, especially when college is comming up.  I'd say rock the cougar until you have stuff figured out (after school).  Plus your car only has 61K!

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #2
the way i see it, unless i have no interest in keeping the car, or somebody else realy wants it and is willing to pay, i would never realy sell one of these cars, expecialy if i were attached to it. the cars just arnt worth that much realisticaly and generaly it isnt worth selling them. i would rather pay 70=100$ for a good car cover and stick it somewhere away from falling trees  untill i had money or time to work on it.  i beat around in a '99 hyundai accent every day and put my money away  and spend what i can on my car when i have it. its worked out for a few years now well. keep in mind also, i did my HO-T5 swap and everything else pretty much while in college, working 2 jobs, that was a tight scedual lol. and my friends in the area have done the same with there cars. if your going to have an ongoing project car, you realy need a daily driver beater, i suggest you find one of them.  a bran new car, or something you need to make payments on will likely be more expensive than a daily driver project, with payments and higher insurance. i would suggest something a little older, and reliable. something like most pickup trucks, jeeps, hyundai's lol. the pickup's and jeeps can be as much fun as or more so even than our cars, expecialy if its paint isnt perfect and you go 4'wheeling in it.

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #3
Think of the fuel costs in the future while you're looking at those big trucks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #4
Yeah have fun buying tires for those 20" wheels also...

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #5
While I've been the victim of "new car fever" myself, there are several things to consider before buying that Ram:

1) Your fuel consumption will double. At least. I drove my father's 2001 R1500 4X4 ona  400 mile trip a few years ago and it cost me $120 in gas. This was before gas prices went crazy, too.

2) Full size trucks are a pig to drive and a pig to park. You think your Cougar doesn't fit well into mall parking space? Try it with a full size truck. I love trucks but would never have one as a DD.

3) If you get a loan you'll need full insurance coverage. That means double your premiums if you've only got PL/PD on your cat now, and even if you've currently got full coverage your premiums will still likely rise because of the increased value of the Ram.

4) You're on your way to college? That college education is going to put you deep enough into debt, you don't need another payment dragging you down before you even get there. Once you graduate you'll have your whole life ahead of you to drive whatever you want. Don't put yourself into debt for "bling"

5) Like RedLX says, just wait 'til it comes time to replace those 20" tires. For what they cost you could probably buy another Cougar...

That being said, if you're hell bent on a newer ride, don't even think about trading your cat on it. A car lot would give you s value for your car at best. If they offer you what you think is a reasonable offer you can rest assured that means you're paying too much for the Ram. Say they offer $1500 - that means they've got the Ram marked up enough that they can eat that $1500 and send the Cat to auction at a loss, where it would likely be sold for a hundred or two. Used car lots have absolutely zero interest in a 20 year old Mercury taking up space on their lot. If you can't keep two vehicles, sell the Cougar privately.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #6
BOOOOO!!!

I hate people that daily drive huge trucks with huge engines who think they own the road, and whine about getting 12 mpg downhill.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #7
even if you could, just cause you can is a lowsy reason. do yourself a favor and dont start your life off in big debt, that usually only gets bigger. do you still live at home?

dont trade the car in, give it away to someone on here or someone that you know that will take care of it, or try to sell it privately. i was a car salesman. they will acv that car at a dollar (while showing you whatever you want for it) and sell it to a wholesaler.

realy dude, its a bad idea. ive seen it happen way too many times.

my rule of thumb with used cars:
1. i never buy anything i cant easilly pay off in no more than 3 years period.
2. i never buy anything for more than 80% of its TRADE IN
3. when dealing with a dealership, no matter how much you like the car, its just metal. dont be afraid to walk away.
4. NEVER buy or sign on anything on your first sitting. always sleep on it for a night.
5. their is ALWAYS a thousand dollars left in the deal. car dealers rerely sell at cost (depends on how long they have floated that shiznitbox) and never lose money. want proof? ask him to show you the ACV sheet or flip screen.

thats all i can think of right off other than knowing exactly what you are buying, drive it for a good long test drive, preferably without the salseman. dont just take it around the block. have a trusted mechanic give it a good look over, and for godsakes pay the guy for his time.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #8
Quote from: stuntmannick;108887
I think buying a $10K+ truck....

10K for a new truck?? where the hell do you buy your trucks! lol

Quote from: bhazard;108908
I hate people that daily drive huge trucks with huge engines who think they own the road, and whine about getting 12 mpg downhill.

Just as bad as the middle aged woman with one elementary school-aged child driving a tahoe or excursion :disappoin

If you dont haul large items at least twice a week you dont need a new truck!

Getting a brand new vehicle does not mean its more reliable, trust me.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #9
broke and wanting a $20K+ truck  :eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #10
30k+ gotta have that hemi, loaded of course!
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #11
I drove my Cougar as a DD until last year(senior year of High School) Heater Core went out in the middle of December, so I was freezing my nuts off. My dads company car became available, I waited a year with no car to buy it and I got a helluva deal $2700 for an '03 Ford Escape with 105,000. Im pretty much broke paying for it. Add $10k to that, I couldnt afford it. Dont dig yourself a hole. If you have to resort, buy a cheap Import, yes I said import. Saves alot on gas, and that money will help toward rebuilding your Cougar and paying the car off.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #12
Quote from: tbirdscott;108929
10K for a new truck?? where the hell do you buy your trucks! lol

KBB

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #13
Quote from: stuntmannick;108949
KBB

:confused:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Ram in, Cat out?

Reply #14
Why are you guys talking about new trucks? He said he wanted an 02-05 model...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣