Skip to main content
Topic: HO Specific Parts? (Read 683 times) previous topic - next topic

HO Specific Parts?

After swapping out the upper intake on my 5.0 I have been very pleased with the increase in performance and power but have a nagging EGR problem.  I continue to pull a code #34 (I was pulling this before the swap, too).  I have replaced the TPS and the EVP sensors and now get an exhaust smell.  Could it be related to the new EVP?  When I swapped in the HO I used the furnished EGR spacer but used the EGR valve from my SO.  Are there HO specific parts that I should use here?  And if so, how do I get the numbers?  The parts stores just see 5.0.

Also, does anyone know where I can get the longer upper intake bolts to accomodate the phenolic spacer?

88 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Specific Parts?

Reply #1
I'm unsure about the EGR,I have heard the H.O. part is different,but I really don't believe that.I got my longer bolts at Lowe's.For all 6 to install the spacer under my Explorer manifold,I spent about $1.50.there's other places I'm sure,but that (or a hardware store) is probably your easiest and cheapest bet.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

HO Specific Parts?

Reply #2
follow the vac line from the egr to the corner right side,replace it.
get stainless bolts at any hardware store,they only cost a few bucks more and won't rust.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

HO Specific Parts?

Reply #3
I replaced that line when I found cracks in it.

Believe it or not I can't find bolts that are long enough.  The bolts that I found that were the right length had the threading stop too soon and hung on the intake.

88 Cougar LS 5.0

HO Specific Parts?

Reply #4
Did some checks on my '84 T-Bird EGR/EVP that may interest you.

I measured the EVP voltage between the BR/LG wire and the battery ground.

KOEO it was 1.06v

Running the KOER test it stepped up from 1.08v to 1.56 v and back down again.

Took the vacuum hose off the EGR and put a vacuum gauge on it.
Running the KOER test it stepped up tp 17 in/hg and back down again.
Having the vacuum disconnected gave a code 34.

These readings may not match your car but you can tell if the EEC is moving the EGR valve or at least trying to move it,