Skip to main content
Topic: just bought a 20th aniv what doI do to get more hp (Read 1494 times) previous topic - next topic

just bought a 20th aniv what doI do to get more hp

just bought a nice cougar, what should I do to get more hp out of the engine?

Reply #1
How much money do you have to spend?
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
Could you be more vague? what condition is the current engine in, is it the original engine, does it have any work already done to it, what are your emmission laws, what do you intend to use the car for, and how much money do you have to blow...

I hate people who dont fill out their  info and expect help :rolleyes:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

low miles

Reply #3
low miles bone stock 1200. never been touched I want more power

Reply #4
Do the H.O conversion.Either swap the engine,or,get an H.O. cam,intake,headers,exhaust,19# injectors.there,more power.If you check E-Bay,you can probably get all of those parts for less than $250.00.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Get one of these :grinno:

11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #6
Quote from: Cougar5.0;106437
Get one of these :grinno:

sheeit.. thats a flowzilla isnt it?

im with him!!

Reply #7
hey i got a 20th too, and there are some other members here that have em, like Cougar5.0.  can you post some pics of ur ride? wed love to see it. always great to see another 20th anny thats missed out on harsh beatings. :cool:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #8
I have a set of 20th wheels out in the garage,but that's as close as it gets for me.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
I wish I had a 20th... oh well... lets see some pics!
Low miles and bone stock to boot. Dang, I'd almost trade the '86 or the '88 for it.... then again I probably wouldn't.

Reply #10
Do some research. Theres many many many topics over this shiznit.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
How much more grunt you lookin to get out of this motor?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
Just search the forum. There are many threads on how to modify the 5.0 in your car for more power.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.